Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super - Shutter Release Pro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax ME Super - Shutter Release Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Walters

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

When the shutter release button is pressed on my ME Super, the mirror rises and the shutter trips but, if the release button is held down, the shutter remains open until the button is released. This happens no matter what shutter speed is set (even on the manual 1/125 speed).

My first thought was that the camera was acting as if it was in "B' mode at all shutter speeds. However, I found that if I set a small aperture in a dimly lit situation where an exposure time of say 2-3 seconds would be expected, the following occurred:

* If the shutter release button was held down for (say) greater than 5 seconds, the shutter would remain open (as described above) until the button was released.

* if the shutter release button was quickly released, the shutter would not close immediately (as it would in 'B' mode) but would stay open for the metered exposure time and then close.

This seems to indicate a problem with the shutter release mechanism rather than with the exposure system.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this problem.

Don

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you say, it could be a prob w/the release mech. There's an adj. from the front that can be accessed by peeling back the leatherette. It consists of a lock screw that holds the eccentric adj. Loosen it & turn the eccentric so the release works properly. It's been a long time since I did this so I'm not sure of what the symptoms were. I can send a scan if you'd like to try a diy.
Don

Brian Walters

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don

Thanks for that. Yes I'd appreciate a scan. My email is [email protected]

Cheers

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration