Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Super Isolette closing problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Super Isolette closing problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco Ferrarini

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having a problem with a Super Isolette that won't fold up. It was closed when I got it, popped open normally but then wouldn't budge when I attempted to close it. Actually the struts do begin to fold up ever so slightly but then meet a solid resistance, mostly on the right side. Feels like a locking mechanism of some kind isn't releasing. The instruction manual indicates that setting the focus to infinity "unlocks" the struts. So, where is this lock and how does it work?

After closely scrutinizing the lens mount area, I think I may have found it. The focusing ring has a small curved indentation on the right side. Also on the right side, near the base of the lens support is something that appears to be a small cylinder with a pin sticking out of it. One end of this pin rides against the focusing ring. The other end, which I can't see, I assume fits into a small opening in the lens support. Maybe there's a spring in there, I don't know, but at any rate when the focus is set to infinity, the indentation in the focusing ring lines up with the pin. This suggests that the pin would move out into the indentation, allowing it to retract from the opening in the lens support, thereby "unlocking" the whole assembly.At least this is what I think is supposed to happen.

Am I on the right track here? If so, how can I free it up so that I can close the camera? If not,please set me straight. Any suggestions are most welcome.

charlie

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No specific help but my Kodak Retina has an infinity interlock that prevents folding unless set to infinity. I think Agfa was too cheap to put this feature on a lot of their folding cameras like other Isolettes and Solinettes. My Regent (Solinette) has signs of the ring around the front element scraping on the bed when so I am always careful to reset the lens to infinity before folding. My Speedex (Isolette) doesn't show any marks but the previous owner(s) may have been careful also. Good luck.

iwert

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the lens set on infinity?
if not the super isolette won't close.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration