Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mercury II shutter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mercury II shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Wood

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Mercury II and the shutter is very slow and would like to repair it if possible. There is a spring inside that I think runs this odd shutter but I'm not sure how I would adjust this to make it faster. Thanks in advance for any info. Mark

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure it doesn't need adjustment - just cleaning, maybe a touch of lubrication. the back half of the top shutter housing bulge thing can be removed, then you can see at least the back end of the shutter spindle. Spritz a little electronic contact cleaner in there and you'll find it comes to life..... maybe jsut for a while, maybe it will stay that way.

You can't reach the front end of the spindle from there, but this might be enough. The entire shutter can be removed from the camera if you want to do a mor thorough job. I have some sketches for it if you decide to go that far.

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be aware that when it is working right, the shutter of a Mercury II seems very slack and slow, and it never makes a "click" like a normal shutter - more like a sneeze or a sigh. It might not need anything at all. Before you do anything more than adding a drop of contact cleaner or Ronsonol on the spindle, I suggest you get a cheap roll of film and take some pictures. You may be surprised.

Steve DeValle

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too am working on a mercury II full restore, if anybody has sketches or any other info it would be helpful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration