Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII QL17 shutter not firing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet GIII QL17 shutter not firing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! I had a perfectly good QL17 and suddenly the shutter stopped firing. When the shutter release is pressed, the aperture stops down, but the shutter doesn't fire.

How do I get into it? I want to check the shutter action but need to get the top case off. How does the shutter button/film advance lever come off? After that I think I can remove the top.

Any other tips appreciated. Where do I start?

charlie

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I currently have a Canonet 28 which I think is similar. To remove the wind crank you need one of the tacky/sticky round rubber pads that kitchen supply departments for removing jar lids or the plastic hand clamps sold for the same purpose. It unscrews ccw.

charlie

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shiny ring unscrews ccw. And watch out fro various washers that come off with it. The shutter release also falls off.

Ken H

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can remove the top but that will not solve your problem...The shutter is stuck because of oil that has got onto the blades...I know you will say that you don"t see any oil on the blades...but that is the problem...If you do a search on this site for cleaning shutters, I think it will explain what steps you need to get it working again. It requires removal of the lens, front or back, to gain access to the shutter and a good cleaning with Ronsonol lighter fluid. The lens removal is not an easy access and may require some homemade tools. If you would like to have it done, contact me...I have done many.
Ken H

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken is right.

: ) =

mike

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken, I know my limitations and I think this is too big a job for me. Can you email me? email [email protected]

mike

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I did as suggested and received my camera back yesterday. It now has a working shutter and fantastic new light seals. Thanks Ken.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration