Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing Pentax ME Super focus screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Removing Pentax ME Super focus screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just aquired my dads Me super. All seems fine except that the focus screen is dirty because of the goo from the mirror cushion which has deteriorated.

I tried to clean the screen but it is hard to do so because of residue from the foam.

Can I remove the screen myself or is it just not possible .

dirk

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe this helps...

http://www.in-fotech.com/cleaning_optics.htm

Dirk

John Washington

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much, I will check it out

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not get into disassembling the camera BIG MESS!!! especially if you do not know your way in the camera bowels (I am talking from experience) I am handy - have an engineering degree but if you are not experienced you'll ruin you beautifull camera.
There is a stuff to clean your focussing screen (it is dirty only fom the outside - it is almost no way for dirt to go inside - see http://www.onewipe.com/goofoff/PRODUCTS/goofoff.html
Use only the Goo Off2 - Water soluble - it worked like a charm for me.

You may find it in Lowe's or Home depot type of stores,.
Use a foam swab (walgreens - make up dept)not a cotton one - you do not want the cotton fibers stuck in your visor.
Use very small amounts of the stuff - avoid getting it inside your camera.
Let me know how it went for you.

John Washington

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for that advice

Stuart Wilis

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John ..
Unfortunately. unlike its baby brother the Pentax MG, the fresnel screen of the ME Super is not removeable through the lens mount. The subject of cleaning up contaminated fresnel screens has been "done to death" on this Forum over the years and as far as the ME Super is concerned it is a major undertaking to access the prism and fresnel because of the extensive electronics overlay.

All SLR fresnels are very soft acrylic and no matter what "magic" fluid you may use, the chances are that you end up worse than when you started.

The "drill" is very careful and meticulous attention with a blower-brush. Thereafter you are better to live with a few specs in the viewfinder image. They are not seen by the film at the moment of exposure and will not in any way impair the quality of your photographic results.

On very many fresnels which one way or another were removed from the camera - I have had a measure of cleaning success by very gentle "finger-washing" with mild dishwshing liquid under a running-water source - and then blowing dry. But in my view - this is as good as it gets.

For whatever it is worth.

Best

Stuart Willis

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration