Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AV-1 Shutter speed fault- help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » AV-1 Shutter speed fault- help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris E

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AV-1 which takes fantastic pictures but has developed a fault. I hope that somebody else may have experienced this and be able to advise if it's worth attempting to fix it.

The shutter speed is way to slow for the 1st shot after the camera has not been used for about 5 hours, subsequent shots are perfect but if I leave it for a while the 1st shot 'always' is too slow.

I'd guess there is a capacitor/magnet not holding charge or similar, I know electrolytic capacitors dry out after many years and change charateristics, I'm optimisticly hoping this may be the case and is fixable.

Can anyone please advise?????

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this is the same as the other A series, there is a magnet that holds the second curtain--for a time giving the shutter speed--it could be that the magnet is sticking--it is located in the center of the camera bottom and accessible by removing the bottom cover. Clean the magnet faces using isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) an a small twezzers or toothpick.

Chris E

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ed, I'll give that a go next week and let you know how I get on.
By reading a repair manual for the another A series camera I learnt that the magnet is charged when cocking the film advance, so if I leave the camera not wound on then the problem does not occur.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would never leave a camera wound on/cocked for any length of time.Even modern spring materials can take a 'set' when stored tensioned.It becomes more important the older your classic.I feel that 20/30 year old springs should be treated with some degree of care.The old army command of 'ease springs'should be applied to cameras also.

It also stops that group of 'enthusiast', whose first action on picking up a camera is to hamfistedly thumb the wind on and strip the gears or break the interlock.(Selling equipment at camera fairs is not recommended for those of a nervous disposition or persons who care for their stock in trade!)

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An alternative to the sound advice of "Ed", June 21.2005 ... is to carefully insert a strip of common masking-tape between the solenoid magnet and its mate. Fold the masking tape so that the light adhesive surface is outwards. In this way after manually closing and reopening the solenoid you can pull away the masking-tape to remove any contaminants. It is not as painful as the "waxing" process by which Super-Models retain hairless legs - but it works in just the same way ;-)

Stuart Willis

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration