Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Streak in pic ture -- Pentax K1000 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Streak in pic ture -- Pentax K1000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wjnagy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with a red streak appearing in outdoor pictures taken with my Pentax K1000. I think it might be the shutter hanging up. I noticed it only happens in pictures where the shutter speed was set at 1/1000 or 1/500. All other pictures are fine. An example can be seen at this link: http://www27.brinkster.com/wjnagy/V8%20Ford/v8ford.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like a light leak. It might show up along with fast shutter speeds because this is when you were out in bright sunlight.

One thing to check is to look at the negative and see whether this mark (it will be a blue-green color on the film) is only within the image area or whether it goes out to the edges of the film past the sprocket holes. If it's just in the image area, it's coming through the shutter; if it's all the way across the film it's coming from the other direction, around the edges of the back door.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Rick. My experience is that a light leak which strikes the film from behind the film normally leaves a colored mark, while light striking the film from the front side of the film normally leaves a white to grayish mark. In this case, I'd look for a light leak near the hinge area first. If you need a seal kit to fix this, please let me know...$6 with free shipping in the USA or 80 cents to send to any other country in the world will put your camera back on the dark side.

Jon

wjnagy

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The streaks are only in the image area on the negatives. I held the camera up to a bright light (lens off)with the shutter closed. If there is a light leak in the shutter, I sure don't see it. I realize it doesn't take much. I have a Nikon SP that had pinhole leaks in the shutter. They were very small, but I managed to find those. They looked much different than this. More like white splotches on the photograph.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the streak appear in exactly the same location on each image? how far across the frame is the sharp edge of the streak?

rick

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed something else on your image: there is a white leakage around the edge at the bottom of the image, occurring only to the left of the vertical streak. This does look like it may be a shutter problem.

One thing that comes to mind is a film chip or a piece of dirt getting into the gears of one of your shutter curtains (probably the right hand one).... oddly though, the general exposure of your photo seems to be pretty consistent across the film. The usual effect of a hesitant curtain would be a lighter and a darker half of the image, not a red streak on a properly exposed picture.

Have you tried this shutter test?:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

This can tell you a lot about the evenness of your curtain speeds.

You don't notice any wrinkles or slackness in one of your curtains, do you?

Ken Thomas

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking closely. Remembering that the film sees everything backwards and upside down. The shutter would be running Ok to start then slowup then run normally.Therefore look at the top right side for the problem.
Now back to my PRAKTICA. RUSSIAN TANK CAMERA.
Ken

Don

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the light seal flap above the mirror (at the top rear). They sometimes "warp"& don't cover the way thay should. If so, use a small postage stamp tweezer to unravel/straghten it as best you can. Be very careful not to scratch the mirror.I had that problem w/a Spt. F & being patient using the above method, fixed it altho it took a # of tries over time. Hopefully the lite trap foam at the top af the body casting behind the mirror cage is ok. Don

wjnagy

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,
The streak is always in the exact location in the image. Sometimes it is very faint, however. The exposure of the pictures always appear to be consistent. The sharpest edge of the streak appears to always be near the bottom of the image. The white leakage you noticed is actually from the p.o.s. HP scanner that I used. I have re-scanned the image, and just got done downloading the more accurate image to my web site. I don't see any problem with the light seal flap above the mirror, nor do I see an obvious problem with the shutter. However, on re-inspection, I see that there is a thin seal (or remains of a seal?)
near the hinge on the film door. My brother has a K1000, so I am going to compare my camera to his, to get an idea as to what this seal should look like. I'll post the results of this. Thanks again.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suggest that as streak is always at the exact same location on the frame and only in the image area, that the leak is originating from the top plate area.The internal seals around the prism and view finder should be inspected.Not familiar with K1000,what type of metering system is fitted,do any pointers/needles come into finder box?Poor seals here would give trouble.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration