Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 5C D'oh!!! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Fed 5C D'oh!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In trying to fix one problem, I seem to have created another... The forward shutter curtain seems to have become disconnected from the spool on the left side. Any ideas on how I would reconnect it?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume that like FED 1,2 and 3 you can see the left hand curtain roller through the lens mount.It is possible to reattach this curtain without stripping the shutter crate,I have re-glued three curtains in this fashion on FED/Zorki 1.It is very fiddly and is made easier by removing the mount.You must take care of the paper shims and remember where any part shim is located,if you do remove mount.Also the threaded retainer plates will fall into the body,but are easy to relocate when you re-screw mount if you hold one end of plate and position other end on screw.You then rotate plate under other screw hole.It is also easier if you remove the bottom curtain guide/light seal.As some people find the re-assembly of seal,nut plate and release spring difficult, this is not an absolute requirement.

With shutter un-cocked,feed the end of curtain under the roller.Apply adhesive to area of roller exposed between upper/bottom guide.Feed end of curtain under guides and hold in contact with adhesive until held in place.I use a 2 minute epoxy to attach the curtain because you have to slide it into place.The fact that you cannot apply adhesive to all the contact area does not matter.It is the 'wrap' of the curtain that really holds it in place.

When curtain became detached the roller's spring tension was released.Remove the lock screw and loosen the locknut.Carefully re-tension the roller spring and the curtain will roll-up onto the roller.Tension the spring by turning the screw 3 or 4 full turns.Lock the adjustment,cock shutter and set 1/30.The first curtain should whip across,followed by the second curtain at a slower pace.There is a definite sound difference,set B and listen so that you are sure the second curtain is slower.Adjust roller tension as required.

The alternative is to strip out the shutter and re-glue.This is a fairly simple job because placement of the forward/leading curtain on it's roller is not critical.It is the placement of the ribbons and curtain on the main roller under the speed dial that is critical.

Contact me if you need more information,good luck

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Just had a thought,my adhesive failures had all left the free end of curtain visible at left side of tension roller.I suppose it is possible in your case that curtain end will not be visible in un-cocked state.

So initially you will find it easier if the shutter is cocked.This gets the second curtain out of the way so you can place the end of your leading curtain in right place.

When you release the shutter prior to fixing in place,control release of second curtain by light finger pressure on the right hand large roller.This keeps the un-tensioned tapes in place.

Glenn

Rob

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ever had one of those jobs that started out simple enough, and just got worse everytime you touched it??? The metal clip that was supposed to hold the end of the shutter curtain didn't, and the curtain is now rolled up on the roll on the right side. I may have to strip the shutter to gain access to it. The clip slid through the guide, and is now at the left end of it.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Oops you are in the proverbial!Your right and left were described when looking into front of camera!!!You will never feed the curtain back into spline with shutter in situe.Normal curtain replacement has one pressing spline flat and wrapping curtain round it and glueing the wrap over.The original curtain will not be long enough for you to do this.Sometimes it is possible to open up the spline without damage and insert new curtain.As yours has pulled out you will be able to use scalpel blade to open slit.Do Not Bend the spline.Use a smear of epoxy and then press spline closed.This can only be done when shutter out of body,so a strip down is only way forward.

This is why I collect the solid splines out of the early sewn curtains,these make a much better repair/replacement.

Sorry this seems to have turned into a nightmare for you.

Glenn

Rob

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Glen. I'm on vacation now, and I've got some spare time to get into the Fed. How do I go about removing the shutter?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration