Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb fast speeds. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon FTb fast speeds. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Nash

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fast speeds (60-1000 and B) aren't working on my FTb. Both curtains close at the same time. Could anyone suggest the problem area and what I could try to do about it? Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like your first curtain is slow. This is usually NOT the result of inadequate tension on the curtain spring (the easiest thing to do for it), but dirt in the mechanism dragging it down. I would not do anything to adjust the tension until I was certain that the bearings and other wheeliegearie things were clean.

It's very unusual for this sort of thing to affect speeds all the way down to 60, though; you may also have a problem in the timing escapement, which most likely is also caused by dirt.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

If the B setting is not working and both curtains are closing together at this setting,does this not indicate that something is worn or stuck in second curtain mechanism?

Glenn

Stephen Nash

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. I tried flood cleaning, which seems to have worked. I assume that the camera has been out of use for a long time - it was bought at a boot fair (like a US yard sale?) for the grand sum of £4.

rick

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't looked inside the FTb timing system (that i remember), but i'd guess there's a little lever that engages for the fast speeds and B (where the escapement is not used), and disengages when the escapement is engaged for the slow speeds. this probably got dirty and stuck in the 'disengaged' position so that at slow speeds all is normal and at fast speeds there's no control at all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration