Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM2 shutter release problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus OM2 shutter release problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

René Glad

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoping for assistance from one of you guys out there >:o)
I have an OM2 that used to work properly, and then again it suddenly did not >:o(
Advancing film, and then releasing the shutter was OK, then I used the self-release "button".
The "count down" worked perfectly, but when it came to the point where the shutter was to be released, it stopped without releasing the shutter.
I tried to rewind the self-timer, but same result.
I tried to release from the normal release button, but nothing happened, seems like the release button is stuck halfway down.
I cannot advance the film wind-lever and now nothing seems to work >:o(
All and any advice is welcome!
Best regards René
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

clint

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you set the camera to the mechanical "B" setting? This should mechanically release the mirror/shutter if it has locked up. You should have to hold in the little tab that is at about 5 o'clock below the shutter speed dial -- the one with the words, "B Lock", next to it -- to get the dial over to the red "B".

The OM-2 is designed to "lock up" if the batteries are dead or if there is a malfunction. It is also possible to accidentally lock the camera up if you wind the camera while the shutter is open. As long as the mirror is "locked up", the batteries will drain until dead. Setting the camera to the red "B" setting mechanically releases the mirror, allowing the camera to wind and fire again (hopefully!). OM-2's are of an age where mechanical faults are somewhat common -- the switch contacts are likely tarnished, resulting on frequent lockups.

If that isn't it, there is a lever inside the bottom of the camera that can break if there is too much pressure on the release button -- no, the self-timer won't do that, but someone may have pushed too hard!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration