Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE-5 self-timer problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta XE-5 self-timer problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Terry Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This morning, I wound my Minolta XE-5's shutter.

Then I fully wound the self-timer cocking arm and pressed its starting button. The arm ran down about halfway and stopped. Result: No delayed action, no way to fire the shutter.

Advice on clearing the problem will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course the full and correct answer is to disassemble your camera and clean, lube and adjust it. But being a terminally incorrect person, I'd just shake the daylights out of the camera. Thump it against the heel of my palm...especially upside down. The timer is mechanical and a good jar might get it moving again.

If that doesn't work it's time to do the CLA.

Henry

Terry Scott

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Henry, but I'm concerned that I would do damage.

BTW, the local (UK) Konica-Minolta people want 90 GBPounds to take a look at it...! (That's about $US 160.)

More suggestions, anyone?

Terry Scott

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somehow, my XE-5 is working again.

I think that, when the problem first appeared, the camera was turned on (but I can't be sure of that right now). Later, even with the camera definitely switched on, it still wouldn't fire.

Well, an hour ago, I tried checking the batteries: pressed the switch at the left end of the top-plate cover. Nice, bright glow. So they're fine.

With the camera still turned on, I wound the self-timer arm fully (again) and pressed its button. The arm continued all the way! And the shutter fired - and it's now firing every time, with or without self-timer.

Lucky? Maybe. I do know I've saved 90 GB Pounds.

Mark Wood

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My XE-1 (as far as I know, essentially the same camera) had a very similar problem. About 5 years ago, the self-timer lever broke (amazingly, Minolta in the UK still had spares) and a local repairer fitted the replacement for me. On first trying to use it, the lever stopped about half-way through its travel and the camera locked up. I can't remember the sequence of events that followed now but the lever eventually returned to its "parked" position and everything suddenly started working properly again. No problems ever since. Is this sounding familiar...?!?

Terry Scott

Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is indeed.

Well, mine's still working. The XE-1 and XE-5 appealed to me when they came out because of the silky-smooth winding action. It's still pretty good, I reckon. Nice camera.

Mark Wood

Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're absolutely right Terry, it's a lovely camera. I'm sure that it's no coincidence that Leica used it as the basis for the all singing, all dancing (well, spot metering at least) R3. No doubt someone will correct me and say that the R3 came first! In fact, this has now embarassed me into remembering that my XE-1 has been waiting for new light trapping foam around the back door for far too long and I really ought to do something about it. Does anyone know if pre-cut foam is available? Such a good camera deserves to be treated with some respect...

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should try Jon Goodman's kits.He trades as Interslice on eBay.The kits are very good value and probably the best available.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mark...and thanks, Glenn. Mark, for only $6 and 80 cents in mailing cost(to any country in the world), I can send you a kit that will let you re-seal your XE-1 and have some fun doing it. The long thin film door slot seals are pre-cut, and the other pieces are simple to cut yourself. Please let me know if you have any questions at [email protected].
Jon

Terry Scott

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark said that Leitz "...used it [the XE-1] as the basis for the all singing, all dancing (well, spot metering at least) R3. No doubt someone will correct me and say that the R3 came first!"

The R3 came second. I saw it for the first time at Leitz, Wetzlar, in 1976 and noticed the similarities to the XE-1. Especially so, as one of the R3 samples was shown minus its top-plate. There were indeed obvious differences but clear similarities. And there were the Japanese gentlemen, in the hotel, that morning at breakfast - one of them carrying a Minolta SR-T.

I always liked the Copal-Leitz CLS shutter.

History...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration