Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Internal light seals? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Internal light seals? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dmr

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm here on day 3 of reincarnating a dead Mamiya SD, and actually starting the "put it all back together" phase, having discovered what really was making the thing malfunction.

Behind the shutter, and apparently once between the rearmost lens elements and the threaded brass focusing thing (helix?) there apparently once was some kind of foam or rubber or plastic seal or sponge of some kind. Remnants of it were both on the brass piece and on the lens assembly piece, and crumbs of it were all over the hollow space inside the brass thing.

My question is, how important is this? I really can't see any light path which something like this would seal The brass part is solid with the shutter assembly on one side and the rear lens element and a hood the shape of the image on the other side. I did a sanity check with the flashlight and can't see any light path.

Can this safely be left out?

If not, can I just seal this with that black silicone sealer stuff?

I saw references to internal light seals around a "dome" but I'm not really sure if this applies in my case. I really don't know what this refers to.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration