Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica fr-1 focusing screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica fr-1 focusing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a fr-1 with a very dirty focusing screen, the previous owner has tried to wipe it and smeared the dirt all around. I need a new focusing screen. Where should I look for it? Nothing on ebay under "yashica fr-1 focusing screen". Anyone have a spare? Will any other focusing screens work? (Same dimensions and brightness etc)

I know how to take it out. Pretty straight forward. I removed it and blew off all the dust but the smeared grit I cannot do anything about

Thanks,

Berk

Gary

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cleaning drill is controversial. At least yours is of the conveniently removable type! Some say it cannot be done without damage to the soft fresnel plastic. Others routinely clean fresnel screens with apparent success. If a fresnel is already messed up, what do you have to lose? Some say live with it as is, others search for parts cameras (FR series = FR, FRI, FRII). Isopropyl alcohol apparently will not dissolve the plastic but it melts away the gooey seal material that often gets stuck to the mirrors & fresnels. 91% strength is readily available at Wal-Mart. Others prefer to use a Windex type cleaner (original formula without all the lemon smell additives, etc.). Some say just hold screen under warm running water from sink faucet and gently clean with liquid detergent. All I can say is I have carefully cleaned maybe a dozen screens of various makes, using all of these methods and I did not detect any visible or obvious damage afterwards that was not already there. I even tried denatured alcohol a few times which I now understand is a no-no. Cleaning technique is important as well; gently clean with the fresnel lines and not across them. I have used cotton swabs but maybe the force of running warm water is best in some cases. Again, a controversial topic which has received a range of comments from one extreme to another. You might do some searching of these archives and elsewhere. The fresnel cleaning topic was recently 'beat to death' more or less. Oh, by the way, I may have a FR series spare if all else fails ( my email is [email protected] )

Berk Sirman

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary, thanks for the help. I do not think this one is cleanable. Moreover it is also scratched. Something I didnt mention previously. Do you have a spare focusing screen that will fit the FR?

Gary

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Berk,

Please contact me via my email address: [email protected] and I'll see what I can come up with in my parts bins!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration