Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter problems Petri Color 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Shutter problems Petri Color 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MarkE

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am a novice in this field, but I recently acquired a Petri Color 35 that appeared to be in very good condition, and I thought I would try to clean it up. I initially checked the frame advance and shutter and all controls seemed to work correctly, except, of course, the battery controlled functions (no battery in camera). When I got home, I tried to again release the shutter, but now it appears stuck (nothing happens when I depress the button & the frame advance is cocked in ready position) Is there some way to release the shutter, or does it appear to be frozen. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Mike

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark-

If the lens is retracted beyond the infinity setting, the shutter will not release.

MarkE

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike,
I have extended the lense, but it still does not release the shutter. I can depress the button all the way (unlike when the lens in retracted beyond the infinity setting)but the aperture does not open and close. I understand this should work without a battery. It (the shutter and frame advance)worked a few times in the store where I purchased it, but when I got home, it seemed to freeze up with the advance in the cocked position.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Mark

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably the shutter blades are gummed up. You can quite easily unscrew the front lens cell, there are two notches for a spanner tool around the first lens element mount.

First apply some drops of lighter fluid on the shutter blades and try to release the shutter again. If it starts working now (maybe still sluggish) you will have to clean the blades. You can follow some of the instructions in the "Canonet blade cleaning" article in the article section.

The Color35 is a great camera. The meter range is somewhat limited (pretty often the battery wires are corroded and the meter is inoperative). I had to strip down the shutter completely since someone had poured a horrible stuff like WD40 into it and the shutter blades were gummed up so badly that one had come off its guide pins. After reassembly I checked the shutter speeds and it turned out that the shutter was one of the most precise ones I have ever tested.

MarkE

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Winfried,
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I will try to remove the lens and clean the blades and hopefully it will work again. If I can get the shutter to work properly, I will buy a replacement battery and see if the meter works as it should. Wish me luck.
Thanks again for your help.
Mark

DAVE PASSMORE

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Watch out when you disassemble the front. there is a little ball bearing for the click stops on the asa ring.That can get lost easily if you dont know its there.

MarkE

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip Dave! Will I have to remove more than the one front lense element mount to be able to apply some lighter fluid to the shutter blades? I can see the two notches, and it looks like there may be another ring beneath this outer one. When should I look out for the bearing. I have never done something like this before, and I don't want to destroy the camera or lense, so if it doesn't remove easily, I may take it to a camera shop here in Houston.
Thanks,
Mark

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark:

If you unscrew the ring around the front of the lens, the whole shutter fascia comes off. The ball Dave mentioned will then be loose, on the right side of the shutter. To reach the shutter blades themselves you'll have to remove the front lens element, but the shutter mechanisms are out in the open once you have the fascia off.

I have a couple of sketches - they're not much, but you're welcome to them if you'd like to email me for them.

rick : ) =

MarkE

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,
Thank you very much for the additional information. Everyone in this forum is extremely helpful and this gives me confidence to attempt to fix the camera myself. I will get a lens spanner tool to carefully remove the element, and try to clean the shutter blades.
Rick, if I get into trouble I will email you for the sketches you have offered.
Again, thanks for everyones input and help with this problem.
Mark

L Wilson

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can I replace the battery door in Kodak cx6330?

MarkE

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have successfully fixed the shutter problem, but now have a film advance problem. Dave Passmore has been very, very helpful with emails directly, but before I start messing with advance springs, cogs, etc., I thought I would pose another question to the group to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Once the film is properly loaded, I can advance the film exactly three times but then it stops; the advance lever can still be cocked and the shutter fires properly, but after the initial three frame advances, the film will not move forward any further. The film appears to be inserted properly in the take up spool and the cogs are grabbing the holes in the film.

Also, another clue is that each time it stopped advancing (after three successes), I could manually move the take up spool one click forward with my fingertip, and the process would start over.....three successes, then nothing. I have the repair manual, but this particular symptom is not addressed in the troubleshooting section.

Dave has suggested that there is a concentric screw that can be adjusted that has to do with the rachet and spring. Before I mess with this, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Again, thanks for all your help and support.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration