Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to clean viewfinder/lense on Cano... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » How to clean viewfinder/lense on Canon Ftb QL? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrice

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to a kind responder I now have figured out how to open the back of the camera! Now I am wondering how best to clean the viewfinder, lenses etc. There appears to be a lot of little dirt specks on the inside of the viewfinder, prism, lense etc. THANKS!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you got the Ftb open. Any cleaning should be done with great care and with correct kit. If you have a decent photo dealer near at hand I suggest you go in and purchase a small cleaning kit. You need large blower brush, micro fibre lens cloth or lens tissues. I also find a new cleaning device called a 'lens pen'(they are here in UK). This item has a brush at one end and a self-cleaning pad at other.

The method is always, 1,Blow off all loose dirt. 2,Gently brush to remove specks of dirt. 3,Use micro cloth, tissue or pad of lens pen to remove grease/finger marks. Breath on lens if required. Do not attempt to wipe the focusing screen or the mirror. Just blow well and gently brush, these two items can be easily damaged/scratched.

The correct way to use lens tissue is to roll a sheet into a cylinder (like cigarette), then tear the cylinder in half. This will give you two soft, brush like ends to gently wipe the lens with.

A camera the age of the Ftb will be full of specks of dirt, unless it has been kept and used in the most ideal conditions. Dirt on prism, viewfinder and screen is annoying, but will not show on the photographs. Dust/dirt or fungus in the lens can be a problem if there is a lot of it. For non critical work, keeping the outer surface of the lens clean will allow you to use your camera.

Any dealer worth his salt will gladly show you what to do, remember he wants your future custom. Good luck with your endeavours.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration