Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Werra worry Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Werra worry « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

charlie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally finished the first roll of film through my Werra I (olive green, S/N3170XX) and found the rewinding very stiff. The rewind knob seems fairly free with no film. Is this a common problem? I am considering making an auxilliary rewind knob or epoxying an extension on but if there is a more orthodox fix I would like to hear it. Thanks for any info. (Happy Fourth)

Tony Duell

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You did remember to turn the back lock ring (round the tripod bush) to 'R' I hope. That's what declutches the sprokets on a Werra.

You could also check that this is working correctly. The ring operates a lever inside that presses on the bottom of the sproket spindle. Pressing the spindle by hand with back removed should let the sproket turn freely. And make sure the take-up spool slips properly on the spindle.

Charlie

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tony. On mine the sprocket spindle is freed by a separate little button on the bottom plate, just below the sprocket. This agrees with the manual I have.There is no "R" on the lock ring just a black dot. The film had been in the camera for several months and I wonder if the reverse curl introduced by the winding direction makes rewinding more difficult. Thanks for your input.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As stated by Tony, I suspect that this is just a case of the take-up spool being tight on the spindle. The reverse curl will not interfere with the rewinding. I am not familiar with the Werra 1, so I am sorry that I cannot give you details of the remedy. However someone will tell you what to do to free up the spool.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to conduct two tests, Charlie.
Remove the camera back. Cock the shutter whilst observing the rotation of the film take-up spool and the sprocket. You will see that they rotate in opposite directions.

Press the "R" button and check that this action renders the spocket free rotating in its reverse direction. If OK - then between finger and thumb, take the knurled grip as at the bottom of the take-up spool and rotate it in the film-rewing directon. You should feel some resistance. It does not free up like the spocket - but neither should it be difficult to reverse rotate.

If the rotation is really so stiff that film rewinding becomes a problem - then it is quite easy to strip,clean. lube and reinstall. A stiff film-spool is not uncommon on 50 year old Werras.

The take-up spool outer is removeable per the axial screw in the bottom. Don't lose the"cup" in which it sits. There is then to be seen a long wire which is the bias spring.
If you clean off all the congealed grease gunk from the main spindle and similarly clean and lightly lube the inside surface of the take-up-spool, iyou should find that all will then be AOK.

Hope this helps.

Best

Stuart Willis

charlie

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stuart, Glenn, The Werra passes both of Stuart's tests and as he suggests, the take up spool is only a little stiffer than the sprocket in the rewind direction. So if the last set of slides come back OK I will try another roll of film before trying any surgery. Thanks to everyone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration