Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 dismantling how please! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus Trip 35 dismantling how please! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Myers

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Ihave in my collection of cameras a mint Olympus trip which has been stored for years!
The iris and meter appear to be stuck solid.
How does one gain access to behind the lens, it is not obvious.
Thanks in anticipation
John

Tony Duell

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is from memory, and actually I was working on an Olympus Pen EES-2 (which is a half frame camera, but otherwise it looks pretty similar).

Remove the top and bottom covers. The rewind knob comes off in the normal way. Untangle the wires at the bottom.

Set the focus ring to a known point (I normally use the 'mountain' position), then loosen the 3 setscrews in the name ring round the front element. Lift off this ring (note how the fork engages with the tab on the focus ring inside). Mark the position of the front lens element mount (I normally do so at the top point), unscrew it, counting the turns _and_ the position of the mark when it comes free. You need to be able to get it back to the same position. That's the only hard part!

Remove the screws holding the meter cell assembly to the lens mount. Pull it out (leave it hanging on the wires). Again note how the fork engages with the film speed ring.

Undo the screws holding the rings to the lens mount. Again leave them hanging on the wires.

Peel off the leatherette. On each side there are 2 screws. Remove them, remove the 2 parts of the front panel. You may want to disconnect the wire from the flash socket.

The lens barrel (including the diaphragm blades) comes off with the obvious screws.

To remove the shutter assembly, undo the screws inside the camera, through the film gate. Lift the body off.

IIRC the meter is up on top, and is held on by 2 screws. One alongside the meter itself, one inside the viewfinder.

Matthijs van Kooten

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

U might get a quicker go, if the aperture is stuck at the automatic control. It is accessible above the lens, next to the viewfinder. Unscrew the screw on the top right side of the body and the two screws under the rewind mechanism. The top slides off, and the cables (flash sync and selenium cell) are long enough to remove it. Take out the release button, for it will fall off anyway. Playing with the release, aperture and changing the light on the selenium cell will show whether something is stuck there. The saw-toothed metal plate should raise together with a flat plate when the release is pressed. The needle of the automatic control stops the motion at the right position. Good luck.

cc Hung

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While opening my OM40 I must have pulled the winder too hard, the result is that the back panel wouldn't allowed to be opened no matter how hard the rewind head is pulled. Does any one know how can I fix this problem? The camera seemed to be in perfect condition otherwise.
Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration