Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikonta M Shutter Service Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ikonta M Shutter Service « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Shepherd

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Ikonta M with a Prontor SVS shutter. The speeds were all about 40% slow and now the 1 sec speed sticks, also the delayed action does not work. I would like to clean it but am unsure how to remove the shutter. It seems to be retained by a ring inside the camera and looks as if the front lens element will unscrew. Can anyone help or point me to a good book or online resource? I have found some information on the shutter but this assumes that it is already removed from the camera.

Would apreciate any help
Thanks Tim

mike kovacs

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You shouldn't need to remove the shutter from the camera unless you need to disassemble the blades for cleaning.

For a rough idea of the steps involved and their difficulty, see my article hosted here: http://www.davidrichert.com/zeiss_521_16_compur_rapid_shutter.htm

For details on the Pronto SVS, see the excellent resource from Danny Mitchell here: http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/prontor/prontor.html

The real trick is being careful when you separate the focus helical to make sure that you mark the point. Its also a good idea to check infinity focus using the technique shown here: http://host.fptoday.com/melek/zeiss/repair/collimate/collimate.html

I would skip trying to clean the delay mechanism in place and clean it by removing it and soaking it alone overnight in lighter fluid. Reinstall, and see if it still fires nicely once dry. If not, place a pindrop of oil on the shaft of the star gear and the pallet. This should work 95% of the time. You can adjust the 1 second speed by changing the position of the delay mechanism. Its also a good idea to mark its position before you start because chances are it was in the correct place to begin with.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to disassemble the rear of the shutter. This is more exacting work but not too bad.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's a really excellent link (the first one)!

i feel kinda stupid though: what's an ikonta M?

rick again

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, ALL of them are excellent. i'd only looked at the first one before i sent that last message.

: ) =

Tim Shepherd

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the help. The links are excellent and I managed to get some of the books mentioned from the library. Looking forward to tackling the problem.

My Ikonta M has a F 3.5 Novar lens and uncoupled rangefinder sort of half way house between a Nettar and Super Ikonta

Tim

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick - I wanted to put an article together that really walked someone new at this through the procedure step-by-step.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mess (measuring) Ikonta hence the M

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration