Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F36 drive not working Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon F36 drive not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Liu

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a black F with FTn and F36/cordless. The motor was advertised as "non-working".

When I put batteries in the cordless battery pack and tested the plug between battery pack and F36 motor drive, I found the correct voltage. When I assembled the pack and motor drive, and pressed the shutter release on the pack's handle, the motor rotated. When I assembled the pack and motor drive to the camera body, everything worked fine. Pressing the shutter release on the handle caused shutter release, film advance, shutter cock, over and over, just as it is supposed to.

Well, then I changed the frame rate switch from "L" to "M1". Suddenly the motor drive stopped working. No response at all to pressing the shutter release button. And it has remained inert ever since, even after switching the frame rate back to "L".

Any theories on what is wrong with this motor drive? Do you think there is a bad or dirty contact in the frame rate switch, or some other electrical problem, or some mechanical problem?

Does anyone have a repair manual source for the F36?

Thanks! If I can get this baby working, it'll become my daily shooter.

Will

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the frame advance switch is bad and there is an internal short. The cordless battery pack type sometimes fails to make a tight electrical connection.

Bernard Salvat

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you tried the M1 frame rate, what was the selected speed ? It must be at least 1/60 s.
Note also that you have bought one F Photomic FTn and one F-36 motor with Cordless Battery Pack ; but are you sure that the two parts "make the pair", i.e. that the motor has been syncronized with the body by the Nikon factory or by an authorized Nikon workshop. Unscrupulous people are selling F cameras which have not been motorized in the proper way : they just fit the special cover (with two holes more) down the F body and mount the motor, without the necessary synchronization. The worst thing is that lack of synchronization may severly damage the camera body. The repair manual for the F-36 (as reprint or copies) is available on the net : just enter F-36 (and not F36) and you will find it.
Cordially,
Bernard (in France)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration