Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica mat 124 G battery and shutter... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica mat 124 G battery and shutter speed adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dale H

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday, I picked up a used but nice looking Yashica mat 124 G at a yard sale. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the shutter speed adjustment is not working. The knob can be turned in either direction without resistance, and neither the indicated shutter speed not the pointer in the light meter display move. Any thoughts on how this can be fixed? I suspect it is not worth having it repaired professionally.

Also, after doing some on-line research, it appears batteries may be difficult to find. Any suggestions on what to use?

Thank you

rick

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have some sketcehs for getting into the 124g; email me if you'd like a copy.

if i recall correctly the 124g took a px625 battery; you can substitute a #675 zinc-air hearing aid battery and get accurate metering. however, i believe the camera picks up the (+) side from the edge instead of the cap of the battery well, so the smaller diameter of the 675 cell won't let it make contact. to fix this, get a piece of 12 gauge copper wire (solid, not stranded conductor), cut off about an inch and a half of it and remove the insulation - then roll the bare wire into a circle, press it onto the battery and drop the whole thing into the camera.

if this is confusing, look here:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

rick

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i forgot, the yashica notes are posted online - you don't have to email me, just go here and scroll down:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

Dale H

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the notes and links. With this information, I was able to remove the shutter cover and locate the problem. The speed dial pinion (6M-680) and speed dial gear (6D-066d) do not engage properly at all shutter speeds, apparently from wear. It appears that I need to replace both parts. Also, the speed dial knob (204-308) fits very loosely in the shutter cover, but there does not appear to be a replaceable bushing for this.

The question now becomes, is their a source for replacement parts? I would prefer not to canabalize another used camera, since the parts are likely to be worn and may be only marginally better than the ones I have.

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration