Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter problem / zenit Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Shutter problem / zenit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Draghina Alexandru

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a zenit 122.
All my pictures taken at 1/250 or 1/500 are on the left side, about 1/5 of the pictures width, a little bit underexposed
like +++|---------
Initially there was a vertical darker stripe instead of | . Now it's just a pretty thin lighter stripe, separating the other 2 areas. (I had tensioned the courtains just a little -- 1/3turn the first courtain, and 1+1/2 the 2nd courtain)

Any ideea, about what courtain is the issue? I was thinking of tensioning a little more the 1st one!

TIA

Alex

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wild guess is that you have a piece of dirt in the shutter gears, and the first curtain is hesitating as that obstruction passes through the mesh.

The only Zenit i've taken apart is the C, so i don't have much specific to suggest - but i believe the shutter is based on the leica screwmount design, which involves a pair of large gears at the bottom, sort of in front of the film sprocket. this is a natural place for film chips and dirt to collect and cause trouble. i'd try cleaning that area up first and then see if your curtains might need to be adjusted back to where they started.

Draghina Alexandru

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's basically a zenit E, with some modiffications. The shutter mechanism is on top!

There are lots of web pages about disassembling.

I actually go the top plate off, but I didn't dare to take the shutter mechanism off..

Hopefully I'll manage to clean it without unmounting it... hm!

Thanks!

Tseris Vaggelis

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi draghina,
the solution to your problem is not located on top but at the bottom!
look at the following site and you will find all the piece of information you need.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/zenitrepair.html
find the issue about 'shuttercurtain tension adjustment',it explains and solves exactly your problem.
good luck with your repairs!

Draghina Alexandru

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:) That was the address where I found about tensing the courtains, and I did the first adjustments.

It explains how to tense the courtains, but I am not sure what to clean down there! And now I'm pretty sure that I was wrong about tensing more the second courtain.

btw, as an explanation. He says that you have to turn the screw at max 4 and a half turns. But it also says something about releasing the stress. I have to unlock the screw, let it return to a "relaxed" position, and then turn it? My blocking mechanism is pretty different, and I JUST TURNED THE SCREW more, without releasing it first!

Tseris Vaggelis

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to tell you the truth i haven't tried tensing the curtains on my Zenit.so i can not tell you if you did something wrong.you can try shooting a few pictures and see if everything works properly.
"Down there" you can clean the dirt or old grease,if exists.
if everything is clean don't do anything!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any instructions that mention tensioning the curtain rollers by 4.5 turns, are assuming that you are setting the shutter up after a complete stripdown.

To INCREASE the tension in an otherwise working camera, you do it by half or even quarter turn increments. You cannot rush the job.

When set correctly the movement of each curtain has a distinct and different sound. The second curtain must move more slowly than the first. Set camera on B, you will hear what I mean if tension is correct. I set the shutters of my Zorki 1 specials by sound alone, it is both easy and accurate.

When you remove the bottom plate there are some gearwheels meshed to the sprocket shaft(two on Zorki 1). Make sure that there is no dirt or film debris in the teeth of these gearwheels. Lube with a drop of suitable oil, Nyoil, gun oil or similar.

Draghina Alexandru

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only some "gear wheels" instead of the leaf clovers, used to fix the screws of the springs.

I took down all these, cleaned thoroughly, and then oiled the springs screws.

The second courtain's spring wasn't "returning" very smoothly initially. Now it's moving constantly, and easy.

I then tensed the first courtain with about 4 turns, and then the second one... using the "TV shutter tester". My aim was to have equal width bands. And I found a "setting" for this, considering also a tip, that the second spring should be tensed just enough that the second courtain would close, regardless of the position.

I took some test shoots, and I'm very curious. Problem is that considering the "TV shutter tester", my speeds are too low, the stripes are too vertical, instead of about 45 degrees angle.

I want to build a shutter speed tester (fotodiode, etc, soundcard) to measure the speeds, but I dont' know what speeds shoud be for my zenit. Around 14ms for the whole 36mm length?

(I wish I would know if I have the right speeds just by the sound of the courtains, but.. I have nothing else to compare them with!..)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration