Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mirror Problem Ricoh XR 30 sp Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mirror Problem Ricoh XR 30 sp « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hans Schwethelm

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror remains in the UP position about 50% of the time. When it remains in the UP position I am able to put my fingernail against the mirror edge and a very gentle pull will drop the mirror to the downward position. It seems, off hand ,that the mirror is touching the thin metal plate that contains the mirror buffer rubber.Can I pull on the plate outward and see if the mirror will stop hanging up? Thanks for the help.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a chance that the mirror is sticking to the foam itself? This material tends to get sticky with age and needs periodic replacement.

Hans Schwethelm

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You hit the nail on the head. I inspected the mirror and one edge showed a discoloration. The foam-rubber on this camera looks like it is solid, instead of looking spongy. I cleaned the mirrors edge where it showed discoloration and she fired right up. I clicked the shutter about 200 times, and so far so good. The area in question was about 25MMX5MM. I may have to replace the rubber at a later date, the rubber is recessed behind a metal plate.By the way: I have no problem cleaning mirrors. Regards Hans

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i know a very good source for replacement foam here in the US, if you need one. it's quite inexpensive.

rick

Hans Schwethelm

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick. Thanks for the offer. I have a man in Texas Jon Goodman that is the only guy that slices the foam for camera channels. By the way do you know if the thin metal plate that is held by 2 screws, in front of the mirror rubber can be removed.the rubber is kinda recessed behind that plate. I could then pull the rubber off with a tweezer the way it looks. Regards, Hans

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo, Hans und Danke! If you had the KR 30 sp, it would have no mirror damper at all, but the XR 30 sp does have a damper. I think you can remove that little plate. Please let me know if you need any damper foam.

I hope all is well with you!

Jon

Hans Schwethelm

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo All. I spent some time with this camera today and I found out what causes the mirror sticking. While it is true that bending the plate that stops the mirror in the UP position does some good, the real problem is this: Put the camera on B and fire the shutter. Mirror is UP now. Pull the mirror down To about 45 deg. You can see the L shaped cutout on the right side of the mirror box. If you gently push the mirror away from you the mirror will move backward .There seems to be a spring type mechanism ( visible through the L shaped slot) that controls he amount that the mirror moves forward or backward.Maybe mine needs a lube in that mechanism. There is no rubber damper. Hans

ROSEMARY

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PRECISO DE UM MANUAL DE UMA RICOH KR-30SP EM PORTUGUES

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bom dia, Rosemary. Eu nao sei onde voce encontraria este manual em Portugues. Eu sou pesaroso.

(I have said: Good day, Rosemary. I don't know where you will find this manual in Portuguese. I'm sorry.)

Jon

Man America

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are you guys doing with your lives?!
With talents like yours you should be out nailing widows and getting written into wills.

Man America

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

God!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of us have already secured the roof for the winter, brought the animals in and chopped the winters supply of firewood. What else can we do when it is dark and there are six foot drifts at the door? Well there is the still to keep going, but that like camera repairs is second nature.

As for getting written into wills; I will accept a Nikon SP or a nice Leica collection but otherwise not worth the hassle. Give it to a more deserving cause.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration