Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Lynx 14 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Hess

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am obsessed with getting one of these things, but it appears most units available for sale have problems. I don't care about the meter. What is the typical failure on these cats?

greyhoundman

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuck shutter and aperture blades.

charlie

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could do a keyword search here to find a list of problems.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the other hand, I have one which has never missed a beat. I've had it many years, and it is one of the few rangefinders I depend on to work whenever I reach for it. A Zorki 4 from 1956 is another...man what a smooth camera that is.

Jon

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some Lynx14 also suffer from bend lens barrels. The giant lens barrel will hit the ground first when dropped, and is mainly made from soft aluminium.

Check for even gaps of all the setting rings all around the lens barrel.

Many, if not most, Lynx14 have dented filter rings. Sometimes people try to unscrew the first retainer ring. If you do not grip the lens barrel during this operation one or two stop pins inside the shutter will break. NEVER buy one where the speed dial is in a strange position or rotates freely.

Many also suffer from rotten batteries. The battery cover thread has a very fine pitch and sometimes you have to break it off with plumbers pliers. The battery cover of the 14E must be removed to be able to remove the top cover for rangefinder adjustment,viewfinder cleaning etc.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also check the aperture movement by looking through from the back. There is a lever that connects the aperture control to the diaphram and tends to get bent/broken.

I agree with John's assesment - the Lynx 14 is one of the best fixed-lens rangefinders. SUper sharp lens, good shutter, decent rangefinder all in a solid metal body.

And no auto-exposure system to mess you up :)

Howard

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
Just a personal note. I have both a 14 and a 14e and if you are planning to shoot mainly outdoors the 14 is the better proposition as the meter is much easier to read. With the 14e the over and under lights are almost impossible to see in bright daylight. However if shooting in low light levels the 14e is better. They are both great cameras and there are quite a few around, so be patient and if possible you should really try to get one with a working meter.
Good luck
Howard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration