Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing the top cover of a Pentax K1... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Removing the top cover of a Pentax K1000 - Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

imathias

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi:

I recently got a K1000 with a few issues, on being a light meter that doesn't work. I have wanted to tinker with cameras for a while and this camera will be my first. I have checked the battery but now want to check the terminals and am trying to make it a DIY project.

I have downloaded and printed the service manual and have been following the instructions on how to remove the top plate. I however have seem to run into a problem. I was not able to get the retaining ring off and actually began to scractch it up trying to do so. The instructions make it seem like a fairly straight forward task. So, I am wondering if I am missing something - Do I need special tools(only using some small screwdrivers right now? Is there a technique I'm not using? Is the part I have the one in the manual? - I'm not sure.

I am posting a picture of the source of my issue at http://imathias.smugmug.com/gallery/688756 and have hightlighted the part I am referring to.

If you have any suggestion that might help, it would be much appreciated.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only odd thing about that retaining ring is that it is a LEFT HAND thread - you turn it clockwise to remove it. This should be the same as the little screw you have already removed from the center of the frame counter dial.

You can't get a ring like this off with screwdrivers, you'll need some sort of spanner. I make most of my own by starting with long-nosed pliers and grinding the tips to fit the slots in the ring.

Since you have a manual, this may not be of any help, but the K1000 is very similar in construction to the later Spotmatics - my notes for that are here:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-113.html

: ) =

imathias

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick:

Thanks very much for the tip. The manual is a photocopied item that I found online and is really good but this is my first attempt so everything is new. The manual does mention that it is a left hand tread.

You mention griding your pliers to get into the the slots in the ring. Are you talking about the slots in the centre of the ring or the ones on the edge of the ring.

Thanks.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another way to make a spanner tool for that small ring is to grind away the center portion of a screwdriver leaving two tips on the ends.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slots near the edge of the silver ring that's about 10mm in diameter. Once you get that unscrewed, the larger black disc will lift off.

imathias

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much Rick and Dan. I appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration