Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister d Classic Problem "... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Minister d Classic Problem "pin" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim W

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all am a avid reader of this Forum "But it sometimes makes my head hurt"

How do I joint the pin "that operates the speed setting " back onto the plate so I can use my Yashica Minister d , I think over the years the grease has become hard and some ham fisted person gave the speed setting a extra twist, if not has some kind person a spare to sell.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not quite sure what you mean by "getting the pin back". The meter on the Minister D is calibrated in 'exposure values' which are also on the Copal SVL shutter. First, turn the front ring with the red exposure values on it as far as it will go either way, and you'll see that you can turn back and set the shutter speed you want at the top, opposite the red line on the body of the shutter. Then turn the front ring to bring the meter's exposure value to the top of the shutter. You'll see the aperture stop figures also rotate. If you want to use a different stop from the one that lines up with the shutter speed you chose, or decide you want a different speed, turn the thin knurled ring between the speed and stop figures, and the appropriate shutter speeds and stops stay together so you can choose whichever combination of speed and stop you want, again lined up with the red line. The only other levers on the Copal SVL are the selector for X or M flash synchronisation, at the side, and the delayed action lever at the bottom. Hope that makes sense.

Peter

Howard

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim,
If you still have the pin you could try using a very strong 2 pack epoxy cement. Other than that another option is to pick up a junker for parts, there are quite a few around. I successfully re-attached an aperture prong using the above method.
Good luck
Howard

Tim W

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank Howard and Peter for the input , used Epoxy resin looks good now to attempt to get the gears lined up phew its impossible any tips apreciated
thanks.

Howard

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again Tim.
You will need to be very patient, but for some clues refer to the Camera Articles section of this site and look at the Lynx 5000 article by Henry Taber. It's not exactly the same but should give some indication as to whats required.
Good luck
Howard

Will

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim,

I had the same problem with my Minister D. At some point the shutter speeds were forced and the pin was bent and forced free from the plate.

I found that once I straightened the pin, and filed the end smooth with a jewelers file, I could reinsert it back into the plate (hole). What I did to reattach it was take a nail set sharpened into a fine point and drive this point with a small hammer into the back of the pin, while it is inserted in the plate. What this does is flare the pin out inside the plate, creating a wedge effect. Similar to the origianl assembly. I then took some CA glue and lightly reinforced the area.

I've used this camera alot and the repair has held up well. I am very carefull in adjusting the shutter/index ring though! I hope this helps some.

Will

Tim W

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks
Replaced the pin with a 2mm threaded bolt ,cut its own thread ,works fine just kept threading it up
till it reached the hole the cut off the head and filed flat......

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration