Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Thank you Rick Oleson, and box camera... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Thank you Rick Oleson, and box camera question: « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, many thanks to Rick Oleson for his excellent "home shutter speed tester" instructions! Rick: I followed the instructions, and I've been able to test the shutter speeds on my Yashica Penta-J.

Now for my box camera question: I've just loaded my Ansco Cadet with a roll of Tri-X. I'm just curious: What's the typical 'average' shutter speed of a box camera? Does anybody know? Also, what's the nearest distance that one can get to a subject and have the image still be in focus?

And finally: Should I keep a small bit of gaffer's tape over the red exposure counter window? I'd remove it just to make sure I've advanced the film enough.

-CJ

Peter Wallage

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Average shutter speed for a sector-shutter box camera is usually about 1/30 to 1/50 sec (or was when new). They aren't exactly precision shutters. I don't know the Ansco Cadet, but if you've got two stops labelled 'bright' and 'dull' they're usually f/16 and f/11. Average nearest distance for decent definition at f/16 is about 8 to 9 feet; at f/11 about 10 to 12 feet. Hope this helps.

Peter

CJ

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the information, Peter.

This Cadet doesn't have anything in the way of an F-stop adjustment--nor does it have any sort of a bulb setting. Interesting, as the info I've seen indicates that there was at least a 'B' setting...

Ah well. Cheers!

-CJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration