Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax k1000 battery drain Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax k1000 battery drain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Ivnitsky

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my k1000 is draining a battery (enough to have mistaken readings)in 2-3 months.
sometimes when a new battery inserted and B is selected at 100 iso(battery check option)the arrow is not at the top if in a dark room.
With a fresh battery the meter is accurate enough to shoot slides.

What seems to be the problem?

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The K1000's that I'm familiar with have a balanced meter circuit that tends to go to center when the battery dies - so dropping battery voltage does not affect the exposure reading, as long as you really center the meter needle. One problem with this is that if the battery is totally dead, it will make you think you always have a correct exposure.

Are you using alkaline or silver batteries?

Michael

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alkalaine.silver are impossible to get where i live

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2-3 months seems a short time, but alkalines will not hold up as long as silver cells. In the K1000 in particular, since it has no ON/OFF switch, putting the camera on a shelf without a lens cap can kill off an alkaline cell fairly quickly. I find this irritating, as I'm not that fond of lens caps, but that's the way they designed it.

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration