Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Left hand threaded screws Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Left hand threaded screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Russell Simpson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am fixing an Olympus D2 and got caught by the large head on the screw that holds on the film wind knob/wheel. I used a medium sized driver that fitted the head and it was only after it had sheared off that I realized there was a very small screw under there and it had a left hand thread. The broken bit came out ok. The diameter measures 1.65 mm. Can anyone suggest possible junk camera donors for suitable screws of this size, apart from another D2, they seem a bit rare.

Thanks
Russell

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the screw in the center of a pentax spotmatic or k1000 frame counter dial has a left hand thread, and i think it might be a 1.7mm diameter. the head won't look right, of course....

left handed screws are pretty hard to come by.

rick : ) =

Peter Wallage

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a very last resort in the past when I've been faced with a broken left hand thread screw like this I've drilled it out 1.75 mm and retapped 2.2 x 0.45 mm right hand thread, which is a standard screw size. But it's a VERY last resort and a delicate job because there often isn't much meat round the screw hole and there's a great danger of breaking through, and then it's buggered. If you can find a LH thread screw that fits, even with the wrong type of head, it's much better (and easier) to modify the head.

Peter

paul ron

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But won't a right hand screw work it's way loose when cranking? Do you use locktite to keep it in?

Arnold Harris

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easiest of all is to buy a reprint shop manual or repairmens' notes for the camera make and model in question, or wait for some appropriate technical answers on a website such as this online forum, before destroying the left-hand screw to begin with.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Peter Wallage

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

paul ron wrote:
But won't a right hand screw work it's way loose when cranking? Do you use locktite to keep it in?

In a word, yes. On the two occasions I've been driven to this I used non-setting Loctite - just in case the screrw ever has to come out again.

Peter

Russell Simpson

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys for all your comments. No room to tap it oversize Peter. Present thinking is to see if I can solder the two halves together and put it in very gently. All part of life's rich tapestry!

Cheers
Russell

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration