Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 with difficult film advance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki 4 with difficult film advance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josh Earl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working on a Zorki 4 that I recently bought on eBay. The shutter was a little sticky, but after some cleaning and light lubing it seems OK.

The only remaining problem is the film advance wheel. It takes quite a bit of force to turn, and I'm not able to do it with just my thumb. I have to use my thumb and index finger together.

It feels smooth, and all of the gears seem to be clean.

Is this normal for Zorkis, or should I be looking to clean something else?

I have stripped it down to check it, removing the front cover, cover plate around the lens opening, light baffles, etc.

Is there a diagram anywhere of the shutter mechanism itself (not just the self timer and slow speed unit)?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Josh.
All of those require the use of your thumb and index finger. You can disassemble the gear train and clean each gear. This will improve the smoothness somewhat. Remember to clean the gear's teeth very well and lubricate very lightly if at all. The lower idler gear in these usually catches more crud than it needs...I think it is one of the main culprits in messing up the shutter timing. There are explanations of the shutter on the internet...Jay Javier does a good job of it. http://jay.fedka.com/

Good luck. These are typically very good cameras, particularly the early years.

Jon

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should also check the friction between the take-up spool and the advance shaft. The advance shaft is always turned the same number of turns. The take-up spool will only rotate as far as it is allowed by the amount of film transported by the sprocket shaft. If there is too much friction the advance button will be very rough, especially towards the end of the film, and rewinding the film will be very hard, too.

I could solve both problems by removing the take-up spool and widening its upper end. This was on a FED1 with removable spool, on a Zorki4 which probably has a fixed spool it might be more difficult to get to the friction link.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Zorki 4 has the same removable spool system as the 1's......

: ) =

dave

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dont forget to lube the rewind shaft also. shining up the film rails will help a little also........

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration