Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi Matic 7s II with stuck sel... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta Hi Matic 7s II with stuck self timer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ignacio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody!

I am quite a long time lurker in this forum and would like to as a question to the experts.

After searching the forum I have seen that a stuck shutter / selftimer at the Minolta Hi Matic 7s II is not at all unusual. I will of course start with cleaning the blades as mentioned already.

As I am relatively new in the repairing "hobby" (especially for the Minolta), would anybody happen to have a detailed instruction on how to disassemble it? I think that I know already the basics (such as loosening the inner lens ring and so on) but I am afraid that I will reach a point where I can go neither forth nor back :-)

Thank you in advance for your help,

Ignacio

Wayne

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ignacio

I've recently been working on a 7sII (see the meter thread below). Firstly make sure you're pressing the shutter button the whole way down. On my camera at least you really have to push the button down to the full limit of it's travel to trigger the self timer. If you want to access the self timer it's pretty easy. Firstly remove the top and bottom plates. To remove the top plate: unscrew the rewind knob (block the shaft inside the back to unscrew it), undo the screw holding the advance lever (use a lens spanner, rubber faced tool or forceps) and then unscrew the three screws that hold the cover on (one on the side and two under the rewind knob). Note the position of the various washers/spacers as you remove the knob and lever, and be careful of the flash sync wire which will still be connected inside the cover. The bottom cover is easy to remove - just three screws.

If you then peel back the leatherette on both sides of the lens barrel and remove the 4 screws that are revealed, the whole front panel will lift out in one lens/shutter/meter module (with meter/flash sync wires still attached to the body). You then have full access to the self timer and if there's nothing mechanically wrong with it a squirt of lighter fluid or similar ahould free it up. Once clean I put a TINY drop of watch oil on the bearing surface of each shaft in the timer, but it will probably run just as well without lubrication. Of course, you may still have a stuck shutter after all of this, but it's quite a bit of work to get right into the shutter of this camera (because it faces 'backwards'), so I'd try the self timer first if you suspect that may be the only problem. If your shutter is the root cause of the problem let me know and I can leave instructions to get into the shutter (while it's still fairly fresh in my mind).

Cheers, Wayne

ignacio

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne,
thanks a lot for your information which is highly appreciated. I will try at first to go for the selftimer and will cry for help if this does not work :-)

Cheers,
Ignaco

ignacio

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again!
I think I did it. She works again, thanks for your help, Wayne. Somebody had used a lot of force on the self timer so that a couple of parts had been bent a little bit. I adjusted them and cleaned the timer with some Ethanol. The only thing now is that the self timer trigger moves quite freely after half of its way (however it seems to work the same). I suppose that some part of the tooths have been damaged before.

Regards,
Ignacio

Wayne

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great news Ignacio

I'm glad I could help. So your shutter works OK now that the self timer is freed up?

I've got an old Pentacon F (which has a similar self timer) that has been abused like your Hi-matic. Someone had forced it and damaged some of the gears, but with a bit of work I've managed to get it to run. It still hesitates where the gears are damaged, but I don't think I can improve it any more without replacing the gears.

Cheers, Wayne

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration