Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Effective odor removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Effective odor removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Doler

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been collecting russian rangefinders for a while now and have found a good way to remove odors from the cameras (obviously works on any camera not just russian).

The product is called Zeolite and can be found in a pet supply store. It's used to deodorize litter boxes. Make SURE you get the mineral Zeolite stuff and not the usual deodorizors.

I place about a 1/2 cup of the Zeolite into the bottom of a shoebox with some small air holes cut into the sides, place the opened camera CAREFULLY onto the Zeolite and place the box on an open shelf for about a week.

The Zeolite absorbs all of the odors without imparting it's own smell and the camera comes stink-free. Just don't drop or shake the box of you'll be cleaning the camera for a month.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mihai Costea

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, thank you for this post. I started a restoration process on a Moskva 5 that some one gave away for free. It is very ugly and stinky but has good glass. About the ugly I stripped the leathertette and will replace it. The inside of the camera (probably the bellows) have a mold smell that slowed me down. I hope I will be able to finish my project following your advice. Cheers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration