Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet focusing window Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet focusing window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Gelding

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have one of the early model Canon Canonet's. The images in the focus window are not vertically aligned, so to focus a shot you move the images horizontally towards each other but one image is always above the other. It's hard to focus with detailed things like folage on a tree.

This is my first rangefinder, aren't the images ment to go directly on top of each other when in focus?

Is this a problem anyone has had before, and is it easy to fix.

My only adventures in camera repare so far are taking apart a Pentax Spotmatic.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they're supposed to be exactly aligned; but it's common to have them off vertically like yours in an older camera. Some cameras have an adjustment for both vertical and lateral image position, but in the fixed-lens leaf-shutter type it's often a matter of tilting the angled mirror in the rangefinder. Often there is a screw for this, sometimes more than one... sometimes there's not. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the early Canonet to say for sure but I'd look for a screw of some sort behind the angled mirror. In the early, bottom-wind Canonets, removing the top cover is quite easy, just a matter of 3 screws and lift it off.

After adjusting the vertical image position, you'll have to readjust the lateral position. This will probably be a cam that rotates the same mirror left and right very slightly. In the later Canonets, it's a screw just in front of the mirror, reached from above. It might or might not be similar in your earlier one.

Graham Gelding

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help!
I found a screw behind the angled mirror and a quater turn fixed my problem. There are two screws infront of the mirror reached from above, I presume they are for adjusting lateral position. For this adjustment is it good enough to measure out something 1m, 10m's and something for infinity. Line up the black marker on the lense to the correct distance marking then check that the focusing window shows in focus?

Graham Gelding

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I found an answer in the archives:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/848.html?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration