Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 1 rewind knob stiff Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Fed 1 rewind knob stiff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rewind knob turns very stiff. Is this normal? I tried to load film, following the loading instructions very carefully but was unsuccesful. I suspect the very stiff rewind knob is preventing the film from unspooling. When I do turn the knob it almost feels "out of round" Is this something I can fix easily? I bought it from a reputable camera house. Sad if I have to return it.

JJ

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pull out the knob,remove the slot head screw from collar and pull knob off camera.Now remove the collar,the large chamfer on collar points toward camera ie it rests on the bearing tube.Remove rewind fork from inside camera.The fork should have on it a coil spring and a hard steel shim washer-the washer is there to stop the spring wearing away the plated brass rewind fork.ie washer goes on first then spring.
Clean the tube and the fork and check that the fork rotates freely in tube.Polish with fine emery cloth until it does,if it is stiff.Put a little grease on the bearing surfaces and reassemble.Do not forget to grease the shaft of the pull out knob.

If still stiff check the spring,it should have only 3 widely spaced full turns on it.I have seen the wrong type of spring used here.The spring is there to stop the knob rattling about and add a SMALL amount of friction to the assembly.

JJ

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Thanks much for a very clear set of instructions to help me troubleshoot/correct the problem. This was my first post to the CCRF. The level of camera expertise in this forum is impressive!

Thanks again,
JJ.

JJ

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI, your instructions were on-target Glenn. I cleaned the surfaces using honda cleaner & polish (great cleaner that is safe to use around the vulcanized surface). All the parts cleaned up nicely--from dull green to bright brass and chrome. I didnt have grease on hand so used singer oil and reassembled. Works great, although there could be more resistance now as the knob will pop up on its own if you tip the camera. I will probably buy some lithum greese and lubricate with that--should provide the small resistance I need to keep the knob in place. Meanwhile, I just loaded my first roll of film without a hitch. Gracias!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JJ,

To stop the knob falling out, you need to gently squeeze the top of the fork tube inwards.You will see that tube has a slot,just squeeze one side of slot.Do this off camera and check resistance as you go.Oil the knob shaft before doing this and only move the metal a fraction at a time.Remember the collar has to fit also!

Glenn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration