Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Another Zorki 4 question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Another Zorki 4 question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josh Earl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to adjust the vertical allignment of my Zorki 4's rangefinder. The vertical allignment is off pretty badly--at 1 meter, the images look like they're about an inch or so apart.

A post on the Rangefinder Forum said that you have to turn the two little recessed set screws on top of the rangefinder mirror.

They turn freely but seem to have no effect on the split image.

I am able to get the images to nearly line up by loosening the two screws that hold the metal top plate (the one that holds the ball bearing in position) and shifting the plate forward and backward. But there has to be a way to fine-tune it.

What am I doing wrong? Is something stuck?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not familiar with the Zorki 4,so might be talking rot. The vertical alignment can be done by a rotating wedge prism on the right hand range finder window.(rt hand when looking through viewfinder)All my Zorki 1's and FED 1's have this system and the FED 5 certainly has.There were definite cost cuttings done on one of the Zorki 4 types ie painted numbers instead of engraving. So perhaps there are two types of rangefinder vertical adjustment.

Does the right hand window have a circular brass frame with 2 slots in it? If so use tweezers to gently rotate clock or anticlockwise until images coincide.

If all the Zorki 4's use the cheap and nasty 'move the mirror' method, then I would suggest that the mirror is somehow stuck.

rick_oleson

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Glenn has it. The difference with the Zorki 4 is that the top cover has to be off to get at the round window in front of the RF mirror... this has a pair of spanner slots, you rotate it until the vertical alignment is right. You will find that you have upset the lateral alignment by doing this, so you have to adjust that afterwards by means of the screw next to the big front window.

I describe the arrangement in the FED-3 part of my zorki/FED page http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-58.html ... the difference being that with the FED, you can reach the adjustment from the outside, where in the Zorki the top has to be off.

rick : ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration