Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Braun Gloriette rewind: How to? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Braun Gloriette rewind: How to? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I`ve just finished my first test roll on an old and lovely Gloriette, the version with a lightmeter (in this case inoperative). An equal of this German-made camera, going by the name of Wittnauer, has just ended unsold in E*** (in case you'd like to take a look).

My problem is I am trying to rewind film but cannot find any of the usual devices to release the clutch, so to speak: no buttons, no levers, no dials. Could anybody provide some help here? Many thanks in advance.

Scott

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm not familiar with the Wittnauer cameras at all, but one thing you might try is simply lifting up on the knobs on either side of the camera.

I have a German Welti camera made in the 1950s, and to rewind the film, you lift up about 10mm on the knob which is directly above the take-up spool. This disengages the gears, so that you can then rewind the film back into the film catridge.

By the way, does anyone know of a site with information on the Wittnauer cameras?? I'm curious...

Marco

Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Scott for your quick and helpful answer. I had tried that approach (admittedly on the rewind knob only) without success. With your suggestion, based on a similar experience, I'll carefully try again on both knobs. If all fails, tonight I'll improvise a darkroom.
As I said this is a Braun Gloriette B, not a Wittnauer. Google will give some references to the W. (Reporter?) but little more than a couple of nice pictures and a very basic description. Hope someone else can provide better assistance.
In the end, the Wittnauer in E**y went for five bucks. Sadly, I am too far away.

mike

Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given a Wittenauer "Constellation" 35mm SLR camera. Can anyone direct me direct me to an information site on this company? Yes, I have tried google and yahoo with out luck

Malcolm

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Braun Gloriette (non B version) and to rewind with that, the shutter release button must be held down while turning the rewind knob. It does occasionally stick/jam while doing this but a part turn of the wind-on lever clears this and rewinding can resume. While rewinding it also clicks as the frame counter counts back to let you know how far you have to go... assuming it was set to zero when the film was loaded.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration