Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 rangefinder calibration Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki 4 rangefinder calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josh Earl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading numerous Web sites about calibrating the Zorki 4 rangefinder, I find myself unable to get the split image to allign at both 1 m and infinity.

I adjust the sensor cam for 1 meter, and get it spot on. Then I'll make the infinity adjustment with the small screw. When I check it at 1 meter again, it's off significantly.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Any suggestions?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do it the other way around;infinity adjustment first and then the 1 metre adjustment, then recheck the infinity adjustment.

This always works for me.However it can be a bit fiddly,in some cases I make notes of the actual focus scale readings of the 1 metre target.This just reminds one of how the adjustment is going, but in an awkward case does keep you on track.

Josh Earl

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure that I've also tried it in reverse order like that, but I'll give it a try.

When I adjust the rangefinder for an accurate 1 meter reading, it won't focus properly on anything more than about 10 meters out.

I thought about just calibrating for the close distance and not worrying about far away stuff, but it's way out.

Josh Earl

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I think I may have figured something out.

When I look at the part of the rangefinder assembly near the infinity adjustment screw, it looks like that screw is the only point of contact between the arm with the mirror on it and the wedge-shaped post that couples the assembly to the rangefinder cam.

So when I adjust the screw or rotate the cam, the change affects the entire range of distances.

I read somewhere that the screw should only adjust the infinity distance, which to me seems like it shouldn't be touching the arm at the minimum focusing distance. But it does.

Should the arm of the rangefinder rest directly on the little wedge-shaped post at minimum focus?

Does anyone have a close-up of a properly set up mechanism? I've been fiddling around with mine so much that I may have knocked something out of alignment.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a photo of a FED3 rangefinder adjustment screw, which should be very similar.

The adjustment needs to affect all distances; if you could adjust infinity somehow without affecting the other distances, nothing but infinity would be right. If you get infinity right, and the rest of the rangefinder mechanism is properly set up, the other distances should fall into line correctly.

I can't guarantee that the photo of a properly set up system will tell you whether yours is correct or not, but if you'll email me I'll be happy to email the photo back to you.

rick : ) =

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The picture of the FED 5 on Rick's site shows the cam much better I think.In this picture the cam is in a minimum focus position.The lens is off,so the arm is fully out of the body.If you now attach a lens set at min focus (the correct attachment procedure),the cam will rotate clockwise slightly.Going to infinity will move the cam even more clockwise.

Now actually focus on your 1 metre target,cam moves anti clock until it's longer face touches the mirror or prism arm.This longer face is curved not flat,so the infinity screw will also JUST be touching the cam's shorter face.

However if the adjustable tip of actuating arm is not set correctly the lens scale will not read 1 metre.You move the tip so that scale has the correct value of 1 metre over the datum line.

NOTE you are not adjusting the range finder in this last step,you are really adjusting the lens scale.This is why it is imperative that you set infinity first and then FOCUS on your 1 metre target,to see how far the scale is out.Otherwise you will just be chasing your tail for ever.It is impossible to set minimum focus first and then get correct infinity.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

.... i didn't even remember those FED5 photos were there.....

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration