Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 battery door replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE-1 battery door replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Raymond Hermann

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone done this or had it done to their camera?

Gary

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The broken battery door syndrome is one of Canon AE series significant weak points. Why they designed a battery dependent camera lacking a durable battery cover is just odd. I have tinkered with several AE parts cameras. The little hinge pin can be gripped and forced up and out with a thin plier and some bending but it's not easy. As I recall it's a little easier with the leatherette removed and the front lens frame plate removed. I thought maybe there would be a way to use some velcro or fabricate a metal spring clip on the door which would snap on to the battery. I guess I ran out of easy 'Gerry-rigged' fix ideas and just gave up. That brittle plastic door latch mechanism seems to break all too easy. Canon should have used a better system for sure and in fact they finally did on the later much less sophisticated AV. I guess the pro repairers can replace that door with a new one but that probably won't be an inexpensive solution. Anyone else have a good suggestion?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of simple solutions to this;

For cameras fitted with the grip the DIY set can make a complete new door.Remove old door and grip.From a scrap A series rear door cut a plate that covers both the battery compartment and the grip screw boss.You cut the plate from the curved end of the door and you also cut off the painted returns,that sit on the seals ie you cut along the leatherette.Drill hole to clear grip screw.Remove the metal plate in the grip and fit the plastic grip over the plate,remove leatherette under the grip.Fit grip to plate by use of Dremel and ball cutter.file plate to clear batery compartment frame.I use Plastic Metal to glue plate and grip together after painting cut edges of plate black.

This works well and my three 'working' A1's all have this modification.

For originality purchase new doors from Micro Tools (these are not as brittle as originals).Cut out the hinge pin and remove.You now replace the hinge pin with two short lengths of fine steel or brass tubing.I use large bore hypo needles from the local Vet (who treats horses/cows etc).You can epoxy these in place,but I fashion an omega shaped spring from fine piano wire.The legs of the spring locate in the tubes and keep them in place.Simple really.

doug

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get a replacement door from www.activeindustries.com
To remove the broken door you will need a pair of long nosed pliers, as fine as possible.
Grip the hinge pin about 1/4 inch from the base, and use a piece of wood ( pencil) placed into the battery compartment, use this as a fulcrum to lever the hinge pin towards the top of the camera. Move the hinge pin just enough to release the bottom door moulding.
Slide the door off, watch out for the little spring at the top of the door ( and which way it is fitted )
All done in a very short time, if you can get a good grip on the hinge pin.

rick

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they also have the doors at micro-tools.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration