Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-700 Capacitors Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-700 Capacitors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While in a Radio Shack store the other day, I discovered they sell many different sorts of capacitors in varying voltages, shapes, etc. My question is, I found from other posts that the 2 X-700 capacitors needed are 220uF/4v. Can someone out there explain to me what the 220uF stands for? I realize that the 4v is 4 volts, but what about the other figures? What can be substituted for them, if anything?

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

uF stands for microFarads, the unit of capacitance. The 4V represents the MAXIMUM voltage that the capacitor can tolerate (I've had some 25v ones explode and shoot across the room at 29v, so take this seriously).

I recall seeing the Minolta capacitors listed at micro-tools, and they were very very cheap - so if you're in doubt you might look there.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your main challenge will be size. Radio Shack probably won't have anything close (they will be too big). I have these (the voltage might be slightly higher, but that won't matter), and I'll be happy to send them to anybody here for my cost plus the cost of mailing...it won't be expensive.
Jon

Kris Rademacher

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harlee,
I have a cpouple extra of the genuine correct capacitors brand new. If you are in the US I can mail you 2 for $12. I can also include links to a file on the replacement instructions.
Kris R.

John Nunn

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I hope this info might be of help especially for people needing the capacitors in the uk. I have replaced capacitors in two of my minoltas, x300 and x370. They are the same physical size as the ones I replaced. The values are 6.3v 220uF. they work fine. I obtained them from an electronics store called Maplins,who have a number of stores in the UK. the number to quote them is VH14.May I express a big thanks to the guys who share their knowledge with us especially Jon and Rick. Without this knowledge I would still have two dead Minoltas for sure.

Jose Alvarez

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,
I seen your post about the capacitors and am in need of about 3. could you please email me at [email protected] with info about them. thank you.
Jose

John Nunn

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jose, I have sent you an email. Regards, John.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration