Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIf wind-on knob problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Leica IIIf wind-on knob problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been testing my recently acquired IIIf over the weekend, following some work on the slow speeds. I seem to have managed to sort that out by cleaning the escapement and shutter brake, so all is well in that area.

I have discovered, however, that the ASA setting feature of the wind-on knob has worked loose over the years. Without a film in the camera, there is little drag and the winder works as it should BUT, with a film in place, there is sufficient drag that the only reliable way to wind on is to use the ball of my thumb on the top of the winder knob. If I don't do this, the knurled outer knob just keeps on rotating. The "lift & drop" mechanism seems to have worn out to a point that it no longer engages, so that the outer turns all the time.

Does anyone know how to adjust this or, failing that, how can I jam it in one postition to make winding easier?

Any help most welcome.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joachim Hild

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
try to get the wind-on knob off by loosening the set srew in it`s side just 1 1/ 2 rotation.Turn the wind-on knob anti-clockwise.When it`s off you can remove the set-srew completely,strip down the knob and clean all the parts.There is a spring inside,maybe it`s broken or just weak.The take up spool will come out as well,as will the film counter.Clean all the parts,apply some grease or oil.When refitting the whole thing make sure the set-screw of the wind-on knob is at the right place,screw it in a little bit but not too much,it could damage the thread on the take up spool.Apply very little grease to the thread and screw the wind-on knob back on clockwise until it`s tight.Try the whole thing,if it´s ok tighten the set-screw.I think you basically have a dirt or corrosion problem.If you want to know more email me [email protected]
Cheers Joachim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration