Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Pen FT Meter Readings Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus Pen FT Meter Readings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Huggins

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Pen FT meters differently depending on the orientation of the camera. When the camera is held in "portrait" orientation the meter overexposes by one half stop versus holding the camera in "landscape" orientation. i.e. If I meter a scene in "portrait" and the meter shows "2", when I rotate the camera 90 degrees to "landscape" the meter will show "2-1/2".

This behavior is the same regardless of whether the focal axis of the camera is horizontal or vertical - so it is not a gravity effect. It is also 100% repeatable, even on a grey card - so it is not caused by subtle differences in composition. According to my OM 4, the "true" exposure is about half way between the two readings. --> Is this normal for a Pen FT? Does anyone have a fix for this?

On a related question, is there a drop in replacement for the old mercury battery?

Jonathan

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy adaptors which let you use a normal silver oxide battery. There are a couple of pages on this website with advice about batteries.

However, most Pen Fs are way out no matter what battery is used, due to aging of the cell.

I'd be very happy with a Pen F meter as accurate as yours! Most are much worse, no matter which way up you hold them. Which battery are you using for the results you described?

The only reason I can think of for the different readings is polarization of light, though that seems unlikely. Sorry I can't suggest much.

Jonathan

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are saying that, if you hold the camera with the lens pointed straight up at the sky, the meter changes by 1/2 stop as you rotate it 90 degrees about the lens axis?

I've never heard of anything like that happening with any camera. I have no idea what could cause it.

The nearest thing to a drop in replacement for a mercury cell is a zinc-air cell. The closest one (other than a Wein cell, which is an exact drop-in) to the PX625 cell of the Pen FT is a #675 hearing aid battery. This has the correct voltage, but it is smaller in diameter than the original cell and you'll need to make up the space with something.... some people use a rubber O-ring for this.

John Shriver

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the light take-off for the meter in a Pen FT is through a partly silvered mirror surface in the porroprism system, which is why the viewfinder is noticably dimmer than the Pen F and Pen FV. So perhaps the party silvered mirror is indeed senstive to the polarization of the light, as in auto-focus cameras.

http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration