Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 - shutter won't cock Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki 4 - shutter won't cock « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jac

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, just got halfway through a 36 roll on my zorki 4 (1958) when the shutter stopped firing. I removed the roll to take a peek. Shutter is closed, but when I fire nothing happens. When I wind the advance, it doesn't seem to be engaging the shutter at all ie, no tension felt, curtain doesn't move.

I never change shutter speeds prior to cocking shutter.

Any info would be greatly appreciated? Even if only to be told that I have a beautiful paperweight!
thnx

Curt

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might sound simple but you didn't happen to turn the release around the shutter button by accident did you? Even half a turn can sometimes release the film and then the shutter doesn't completely cock or fire properly.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Curt has the answer to the problem.The only other explanation is that the idler cogwheel in the wind gear train has stripped.Only seen this once and still do not know how the owner did it-very ham fisted I think.Mechanism is strong and simple, so if on checking the rewind collar the shutter still will not cock, try this simple test;If the rewind mech is disengaged, you can cock the shutter by rotating the sprocket shaft until it locks.Just pull the shaft round with your thumbs in direction of film travel.You can then press shutter release.If this works then problem is in wind on gear train.On the other hand,if you can rotate sprocket shaft but it will not lock in cocked position,then rewind sleeve mechanism is 'jammed'.A sprocket shaft that will not rotate at all, indicates a cocked and jammed shutter with damaged wind on gears (in the circumstances you describe).

Jac

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Curt and Glenn,

Appears that I've got a jammed rewind sleeve mechanism.

Any ideas on how to fix? Any spare parts involved? Was thinking of sending it off to the repair shop if too hard, but might be cheaper to buy another.

You've been a great help.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have not pulled a 4 apart,Zorki 1's being my cup of tea.However have got one that I can take apart and then talk you through,if you wish-no problem it's a paper weight!

However go to Rick Oleson's superb site,it has notes on Zorki 4.

www.rick_oleson.tripod.com

Find Zorki/FED in Tech Notes Section.Mechanism is simple.Apart from rotating sleeve I think that you can get at most of mech to clean by just removing complete top-plate/shutter cage assembly from the body.Rick's page has clear diagram of this semi strip down.

I could say just try a drop of lube on sleeve,but I suspect that sleeve is held by a grub screw (this fits with Zorki assembly methods)If this screw works loose,then the sleeve rotates but does not turn the cam.The semi strip down will confirm this,but I do not know if you then have to strip the top-plate to tighten the grub screw.

Rick will put us right on this issue,I am sure.All information is available and repair/cleaning is logical and simple.All you need is a set of jewellers slothead drivers,a cheap set will do for a one off repair.Only point to watch is the paper shims under the lens mount-you must make a note of how they are placed,even any 1/2 or 1/4 pieces,and put back accordingly.

Quite happy to get parts from my paper weight,if you need them,but do not think you will.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a close look at my paper weight.Turn sleeve anti clock until it stops.In the groove under the knurling there is a small grub screw-loosen this.Then continue to turn sleeve anti clockwise and remove it.This sleeve screws onto the operating 'cam'.you will see a spiral slot in the inner sleeve (this imparts the cam action),put some lube on/in the slot and inner sleeve.Screw on knurled sleeve and rotate a few times to work lube into assembly.Look at bottom of sprocket shaft,there is a 'disc'that goes up and down when you press the shutter release button.Does this all the time,you do not need to cock shutter.Now if the lube has worked,rotating the sleeve will cause the disc to move exactly the same way as if you were pressing the release.If this happens problem is solved.

If sleeve does not move disc then; 1,grub screw that fits in spiral slot has come loose. 2,the spiral slot has become worn with use.(The slot on mine looks a bit worn,but still works.Suspect mine has not had much use due to faulty slow speeds)

The only way to check for wear is to remove the top casing and remove the rewind assembly.

If your camera is in good condition apart from rewind,get a cheapo from eBay and do a swap.A very good replacement from our 'Russian' friends will be much cheaper than a shop repair and could be another alternative.You can have my paper weight in exchange for a couple of good photographic magazines,if you want some spares(has no pressure plate or mount shims,slow speed escapement wants cleaning/setting up).

Jac

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the advice. Have dismantled and had a fiddle, however can't get it going. Scared I'm doing more harm than good. I think I'll send it off to Oleg to take a look..he's been getting some rave reviews.

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration