Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda RE-II Meter Assistance Needed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Miranda RE-II Meter Assistance Needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marv Tibbett

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently inherited a VERY clean near new RE-II that has the following metering problem: (Yes, I installed a new 1.35v Wein battery) The meter is "active" but doesn't seem to react correctly. When the meter is turned on, the needle jumps to the top (overexposed position). If you shut out almost all of the light entering the lens, it shows as "normal". Changing the shutter speed or the lens opening doesn't affect the needle as it should (doesn't move the needle as one might expect). It does sense light, because the needle will move when focusing on different lighting conditions.

Does anyone have a thought on what I should do? I'm fairly capable of opening up the camera and that doesn't scare me. Does anyone have a repair manual?

By removing the bottom plate, I see that there are 3 variable resistors and assume these are used to set the meter. Each one has a black dot on the circuit board, but only one resister is close to being aligned with the dot. I'm wondering if these were used to do the initial factory settings?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Marv

marv tibbett

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm still looking for help with this camera. Does anyone have a manual or RE-II repair tips?

I inherited may EC lenses (28mm, 35mm, 50 1.4 & 1.8, 55 macro, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm, 80-200mm zoom, 400mm telephoto (not EC) and many, many Miranda acessories). I want to put these fantastic components to use, not just store them away in a closet (like they have been for the past 25-30 years).

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks, Marv

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marv, if indeed the camera has been setting 25-30 years the variable resistor tracks may be corroded or dirty. Start by cleaning them. In fact, even before touching a screwdriver to disassemble anything actuate the ASA and aperture/shutter mechanisms. Actuate them at least 50-100 times. I'm not familiar with ANY Miranda so don't know if it has electronic or mechanical speeds. But if it has a meter it probably at least has Aperture and ASA tracks.

As for a repair manual...Miranda's were never mainstream cameras so few manuals probably ever existed. But goodluck.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration