Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit TTL Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zenit TTL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zenit TTL which will not trip the shutter. The film advance moves all the way to the right, but it doesn't appear to be cocking the shutter. Any suggestions? Harlee

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try pushing down on the shutter release button and rotating it one direction or the other (I can not recall offhand which direction locks it). When it pops back up, your shutter should cock & release normally. Either that or is is stuck in "rewind" mode, but I think you would have noticed that by now. As for the battery cap, you can use a black polyethylene hole plug...get this at a well-stocked hardware store. Not Lowes or Home Depot. Find an old-style store which really carries hardware, or go to an electrical supply store which supplies contractors. There will be a black hole plug which fits perfectly in that hole. I used one of these on my TTL about 5 years ago, and it is still fine. I think I had to put a piece of foil in there to make the + connection for the battery, though. Good luck.
Jon

Harlee

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon,

I'll fool with it a while before doing surgery on it. The battery cap idea sounds good.
Harlee

Harlee

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Comparing the TTL and my 12XP clone side by side, I notice that when winding the 12XP, the entire frame counter rotates in a clockwise direction. On the TTL, the frame counter does not rotate at all - the wind lever seems to advance so far and then stops at about the 4 oclock position. My feeling is that something under the frame counter is not engaging with the film advance, and thereby not cocking the shutter. It looks as though I'll have to lift off the frame counter to have a look see. I see there is a two pronged inner ring. Will I be in for any surprises if I attempt to unscrew that inner ring, and is it a right hand or left hand thread?

Harlee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration