Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 - Problem with film rewind... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE-1 - Problem with film rewind lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After some transportation, I found that the knob that rewinds the film has come off, there doesn't seem to be anything broken its just removed. There is now a hole where the dial should be and something rattling around inside (most likely the spindle responsible for rewinding the film and opening the back cover. It seems simple enough to put back together since it appears to be screwed in, but I can't even open the back door now.

Can anyone suggest a way to open the back cover without using the film rewind knob (since its just a hole there now!). Thanks.

Gary

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that by using a length of wooden dowel with a diameter slightly less than the rewind shaft diameter, the back will easily pop open. You may have to put a little pressure to one side of the rewind shaft then use a little lifting effort on the dowel. This has worked for me on several AE parts cameras. I'm sure there are some other easy ways to open that back as well.

Sean

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I seem to have gotten it open (somehow) - after 50 some attempts at it the 51st attempt seemed to have done it. The camera is now fully operational!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only way is to lift the latch in the shaft tube,easy if top off.Otherwise you can use for instance; the hub end of bicycle spoke,crochet hook,suitable diameter nut on length of screwed rod or as above wooden dowel.

If the light seals are in good condition,you might find the dowel method works better if you squeeze the door inwards,whilst you pull the catch.This is because you are only using a friction grip between dowel and latch,good seals cause the catch to be harder to pull up

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration