Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM - wind lock not working Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon FM - wind lock not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I have a Nikon FM. All works well except the wind lever will not "lock" after a winding (and shutter cocking) stroke. This means I can advance the film as many frames as I want without releasing the shutter. The frame counter registers each advance. I think the wind lock mechanism is not working, but I don't know what to look for inside the camera. I have removed the baseplate to check the mechanism. I don't see any parts that would act as a wind lock. I also have a functioning FE and I removed it's baseplate to see what its wind lock looks like. Although the general design is similar, it is a different mechanism than my FM. Does anybody have a drawing or an internal photo of a functioning FM that shows me the wind lock? Thanks!

rick

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a photo of the FM2, showing it - it's a lever near the motor drive coupling disk under the baseplate. I don't know if the FM is the same or not, I'd have thought so.

: ) =

Jeff

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

You seem to be describing what I see in my FE. The FE has a rather long lever that engages a notch in the motor drive coupling disk. My FM has no such lever, and no notch in the motor drive coupling disk. What's interesting is there is a threaded screw-hole in the body casting where the lever of the FE would be mounted (if this were the FE). You would think this indicates missing parts, but the notch in the motor drive coupling disk isn't there either. Perhaps this is an older FM (it does not have replacable focusing screen) with a different design? The serial number is 2430540, I don't know how old that is. I'm still very interested in a scan, sketch, or picture of an FM without its baseplate :) or hearing from someone who has an FM and/or knows where the wind lock mechanism is located. This camera works great otherwise.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration