Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor-SVS: 1/60s = 1/15s? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Prontor-SVS: 1/60s = 1/15s? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roland Schregle

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy,

I've got a question for those familiar with the Prontor-SVS shutter on the Voigtlaender Vito. When I got this camera it was gummed up, but got it going again after cleaning the shutter blades. All times from 1s - 1/30s are fine, but 1/60s is definitely slower than 1/30s, infact it's more like 1/15s! (I can't say anything about 1/125 and 1/300).

I've openened the shutter again and found nothing wrong. The cam disk fits fine, and as far as I can tell it just pushes one pin of the speed governor outwards on the upper right of the shutter. However, at 1/60s the notch falls back inwards, so it's obviously slower... but why? Is there some extra pin that comes into action here (nothing missing, nothing broken as far as I can tell). Or is the cam disk just plain worn? The general condition of the camera's fine, so that doesn't seem likely either.

Regards,

--GanjaTron

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually there are two sequences of notches on the cam disk. The first has a deep notch for 1 sec which step up to 1/15. Then there should be a steep notch for 1/30 which steps up to the 1/200 notch. The slow speed range is controlled by one more notch which controls the cam follower of the escapement pallet.

So the cam follower of the escapement should be at its deepest position when the cam is set to 1/30, and the 1/60 notch should be significantly less deep. Also, if 1/60 actually is more like 1/15 you should hear a short buzzing sound (as the pallet should come into play at the actual 1/15 setting). I rather think that the escapement gears are also gummed up. The escapement assembly is easy to remove, one screw (mostly with a long head and easy to reach) near the pallet and one below the cam follower (can be reached when the shutter is cocked). Flush the assembly with lighter fluid or soak it.

Cyril Lowe

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an interesting thing on my Agfa Silette, Winfried. I bought it a couple of weeks ago at a car boot sale for a pound. Everything appeared gummed up, so I dosed it with lighter fluid, as one does, and exercised it. It all works, self timer included, at acceptably accurate speeds now. Now then, can you explain why the 1 second and the 1/25th second speeds are reversed? All others are in their places.

Roland Schregle

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies!

I've soaked the governor assembly in light fluid and reinstalled it, but to no avail. 1/15s is definitely 1/60s, and they both sound identical (yes, there is a buzz).

On my Vito, the notches step up to 1/30, then fall back at 1/60 and step up again at 1/125 and 1/300. The latter two clearly push the cam follower further outside than at 1/30, but the 1/15 and 1/60 notches are *equidistant*. There's a lug at the bottom which swings in at speeds slower than 1/15. At 1/15 *and* 1/60 this is held back by the camdisk, and nothing else comes into play here, so they have to be equal. I therefore figure the cam disk is either worn (doesn't look like it) or it's a manufacturing flaw, neither of which seems plausible.

Lacking a macro lens, I could try sending a scan of the camdisk for those interested.

--GanjaTron

Roland Schregle

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies!

I've soaked the governor assembly in lighter fluid and reinstalled it, but to no avail. 1/15s is definitely still 1/60s, and they both sound identical (yes, there is a buzz).

On my Vito, the notches step up to 1/30, then fall back at 1/60 and step up again at 1/125 and 1/300. The latter two clearly push the cam follower further outside than at 1/30, but the 1/15 and 1/60 notches are *equidistant*. There's a lug at the bottom which swings in at speeds slower than 1/15. At 1/15 *and* 1/60 this is held back by the camdisk, and nothing else comes into play here, so they have to be equal. I therefore figure the cam disk is either worn (doesn't look like it) or it's a manufacturing flaw, neither of which seems plausible.

Lacking a macro lens, I could try sending a scan of the camdisk for those interested.

--GanjaTron

Roland Schregle

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the dupes...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration