Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Must remove Aires rear lens element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Must remove Aires rear lens element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Mazza

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I need to remove the rear lens element in an Aires 35-IIIL. I have gotten this far (thanks largely to Dan Mitchell's website), but am stuck unless I can find an appropriate tool.

The spanners I have seen don't look like they will work. Has anyone done this with an adjustable spanner?

I figure a cylindrical spanner made from a pipe or something would work. I saw a similar tool (again, on Dan's page), but I can't seem to find pipe the right size (not to mention that I don't have a grinder).

Or, does anyone have a tool they can sell or lend me?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Jonathan

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubber, bro!

Find a tube of approximately the right size. If the lens is recessed from the locking ring you're unscrewing, then you don't even need a tube, just a dowel or rod.

Stick some rubber sheet or similar rubber to the end. There's various sources for this: rubber plugs, caps or corks; sheet rubber; old sneaker soles worn flat. For a temporary tool, the rubber needn't even be stuck on. Sanding with fine sandpaper can improve the rubber surface.

Press the rubber onto the locking ring with your tube or rod, and twist. Warmth or light oil/solvent can help unstick the thread if really necessary, but avoid oil otherwise, because it will contaminate lenses and stop your rubber sticking.

It takes a while to get the hang of rubber tools. They slip all over the place at first, but once you work out the principle they're great. They leave NO marks, and they can actually exert huge torque, enough to shear off small screws like rewind lever caps and self-timer screws.

Use rubber whenever you can!

Jonathan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one has an aversion to rubber,cylindrical peg spanners can be made from epoxy putty and two drill stubs of the correct diameter.

Roll a cylinder of the correct diameter from the putty.If lens element stands proud,recess the putty with suitable dowel/twig/stick or cut away with scalpel blade.I have even placed 'cling film' over element and pressed the putty directly onto the rear assembly.Dampen end of cylinder (spit on it!) and gently press onto retaining ring,to mark position of wrench slots/holes.Push the drill stubs into the epoxy and let harden.

Here in UK I purchase the stubs as un-ground blanks,to use as hardened pins or to make miniature pin punches.However small diameter drills are not expensive,you can cut the shank off or use whole,if they are not too long.

I have quite a collection of these.They are far better to use than most of the adjustable spanners/wrenches on the market,because they are easier to control.

Steve Mazza

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are both interesting. I can't say offhand if either will work for me, but I will try to find some materials to attempt them both.

This lens is hard to access because it sits in a deep recess (about an inch). The retaining ring has 4 notches at 90 degree intervals. There is only about 1/8" between the outside of the lens element and the inside of the recess. I think a spanner made of pipe would work great, but I don't have good access to machining tools.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

The proper tool for the job is a cross over or cross opener wrench.This looks like a letter X and you open and close it like a pair of scissors.Micro tools sell them for about $45.

Glenn.

Steve Mazza

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took a look at the cross-opener wrench. It looks like it would almost work ... but I forgot to mention that the lens sticks out above the retaining ring about a half-inch. If one had inward-bent tips for the cross-opener, that might work.

I went to the hardware store and walked around with a ruler, and I think I found something that will work. It's a 90 degree elbow of EMT conduit. If I can grind the appropriate points into the end of it, it should be able to turn the ring. I will also try affixing some rubber to the other end to see if I can get it by friction alone.

Also, I saw a "1 inch female adapter" for copper plumbing that would have been perfect (it has flats for a wrench on one side), but it's a hair too big to get into the recess.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

Here in UK I can buy thick walled ABS tube.I have made similar tube spanner from this material.You say that you have approx 1/8 inch gap.The one I made was 2 inches in diameter and the wall thickness was 3mm.Into this 3mm I drilled two 1mm holes at 180 degrees opposite.Then epoxied the drill bits in to engage the slots.Worked like a dream and is still going strong after repairing four more similar lenses.

OK so I have a lathe,but you can work plastic by hand.If you get really stuck,send me some accurate dimensions of the inner/outer diameter of tube required and I will knock one up for you.It is literally 15 minute job and would be no problem.

Glenn

Yan Li

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I~{!/~}m very pleased to obtain your company information from the internet. As we learn that your company is in the market for optical components, and our company is one leading manufacturer of this product which has nearly more than ten years experience.

Now I will introduce our company for you.

Our company which named Chylin Optical Component Co., Ltd, is one of the manufacturer which can make various kinds of optical product, such as Calcium Fluoride, cylindrical lens, window, prism, lens, sphere lens and so on in JiLin province China. And all the products have samples, also they are high quality but low price, in the same time the specification of them is complete. We have been keeping well relationship with factories abroad. So I hope we could make a long –term cooperation with each other.

It will be a great pleasure to receive your inquiries for any of our products mentioned above which we will send you our lowest quotations.

Should, by chance, your corporation not deal with the import of the goods, we would be most grateful if this letter could be forwarded to the correct import corporation.

We are looking forward to your favourable and prompt reply.

Yours faithfully,
Yan Li

CHYLIN OPTICAL COMPONENTS CO.,LTD
Yan Li
Market Department

No.340 Jingyue Street,CETDZ
Changchun,Jilin,
China 130117
e-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 0086-431-6708166
Fax: 0086-431-4613691

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration