Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 light meter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE-1 light meter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Iozia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired an AE-1 and no matter what asa setting,shutter speed or lens aperature the meter is calling for more light.
Anyone know what the problem may be?
The camera and lens function fine otherwise.

Ben

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Sorry Bob, but I cant help you out, however I'd like to join in this discussion because I just got an Ae-1 (from Ebay) and it has a light meter problem as well!

Althouh mine does move when looking at a bright light, but the light meter is very very inacurate (compared to my friends AE-1, which seems to work properly). My cams light meter is just really low, its saying on a bright sunny day id have to shoot at like 1/30th!

If anyone knows if we can fix our problems ourselves let us know.

Theres a camera repair shop around here but they say its going to be $120 (canadian) for a cleaning/lube fix etc. but they only give a 90 day warranty afterwards.

Thanks.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

If the symptoms are flashing under exposure LED and meter needle falling off bottom of scale,then you probably have a faulty PX1 IC. This IC controls the amplifier for the meter cell.The IC may not be actually faulty,just dry solder joints on it's mounting pins.

Ben,

If meter is working but just not accurate,ie error is relatively constant over many lighting conditions,then the adjustment is to rotate the whole galvanometer body until needle indicates correct aperture for test light source.The galvo body has spanner slots for this purpose.

I suggest that you both get a copy of the National Camera AE1 Repair Manual and trouble shoot using that as a guide.This is by far the best manual for DIY as it contains a lot of Repair-shop quickies and info.I purchased my copy from James Hutchins via eBay.His email address is- [email protected] Good value and service.

Glenn

Gary

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a site with a free service manual: http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No! It does not have the AE1 manual,only the Program manual.The Canon AE1 manual,when you can find it,is certainly not as good as the National Camera item for the DIY tinkerer.

As I stated it is the repair-shop short cuts or pointers that are invaluble in this case,if I had thought that Christian's site would be useful,I would have given the link.When it comes to manuals,I certainly have no objection to paying a few pounds for the information that will allow me to repair a favorite camera.I have in my collection a number of cameras that came to me in shoe boxes-abandoned DIY projects.All but two could have be resurrected by their owners,if they could have gained access to actual repair-shop findings.

Gary

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, sorry for the bad reference. Might try this website in case you are a 'penny pincher' and like to have a free manual: http://public.webbox.com/index.asp?p=297718&ls=1

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary,

Thanks for the link.Interesting to note that in the Mirror Damper document the author also states that the official Canon AE1 manual is next to useless for the diy repairer.Again the recommended reading is the old National Camera manual.Interestingly he states that he is trying to purchase the rights to publication of this manual.Anybody know if this happened?Looks as if the documents were posted in 2002/3,but no indication as to when the notes were written.eBay is mentioned because of people selling unofficial copies of his microfiche printed originals.So that narrows the time line.

Glenn

Ben

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont think i'd be capable of repairing it myself, I'll have to take it to get fixed, or sell it back on ebay (this time being honest and letting the buyers know its not completely functioning) :O

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration