Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contessa ( Folding Model 1... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss Ikon Contessa ( Folding Model 1950's) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ralph jones

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is locked and I cannot release it. I'm not familiar with this camera and don't want to force anything. The serial number is S4887. Everything else is working including the meter. Would removing the front element and flooding the blades be of any help?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ralph,

If memory serves me right, this Contessa has an interlock between the film transport sprocket wheel and the shutter release. It should only work correctly with film; you can cheat the camera by opening the back, moving the film transport sprockets by hand until they stop and than try firing the shutter.

There should be another number stamped on the leatherette of the camera. This should read like xxx/xx and that is the model number, which will tell us what model Contessa yours actually is.

Good luck,

Jan

ralph jones

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan:
The shutter fired after I put in a roll of outdated film. The only number I can find is stamped on the leather case: 1214/24. I would like to remove the front element to try and flush the shutter with naptha. Does it screw off with no complications? The shutter speeds are very slow, not usable. The camera has been sitting for 25 years. Thanks for the tip on the locked shutter! Ralph

mike kovacs

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Contessa (and the Super Ikontas) with the rotating prisms on the lens for the rangefinder are more complicated to deal with than the average folder.

Its highly unlikely that a naptha flush is going to help if there problems. In fact, its more likely to create new ones.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration