Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor shutter swapping Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Prontor shutter swapping « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Nathan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can a Pronto from a 35mm Agfa be swapped into a Zeiss Ikoflex TLR? The Zeiss in question is a great old camera but has a broken shutter, although it does run at one speed only, my guess 1/100th - so it is still a user, but a bit lame. I would like to get it into full working order if possible and have a cheap Silette that could be a donor.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutters came in a few standard sizes from each maker; generally speaking, if the shutter looks to be the same size and is the same make, then it can be interchanged. This is not true for everyone, but I think your chances are pretty good with a Prontor. I'm not sure if changing a shutter from a front-cell-focusing camera to a unit focusing one makes it more complicated; I think it should still work.

Are you sure that the Ikoflex shutter is broken and not just dirty? It might be easier to clean it than to change it.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some shutters were modified to fit on special cameras. Especially Prontor shutters which are NOT cocked with an extra external lever but 'internally' via the cocking shaft have several varietes concerning the linkage of the cocking shaft to the camera's cocking mechanism. AFAIK the Silettes have such an internal cocking linkage.

Usually all shutters of same make have the same threads, regardless whether they were used for front-cell or unit focussing lens. There are very few exceptions.

Anyhow, I did not encounter too many shutters which were actually broken. If your shutter runs at a high speed only probably the speed escapement is severely gummed. The part which is supposed to stop the movement of the cocking shaft for a short moment sometimes does not return to its rest position. This usually can be fixed by a good shutter cleaning.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Rick said, the shutter swap might work. However, the diaphragm will not show the correct values and/or may not open to the proper maximum aperture due to different focal length on the lens. Possibly using the aperture scale from the original will give correct indications.

I agree with cleaning the original shutter first. Only a single speed sounds like a dirty escapement.

Don Nathan

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed the slow speed escapement because the main spring did not have the power to cycle with it in place. The shutter was damaged when I opened it, the cap screw on the cocking lever/main spring assembly was broken off, and the lever was out of position to the point where it would not work. I was able to replace the broken screw using a similar part taken off of the self timer assembly. I'll clean the escapement and replace it, but it seems to function alright. Perhaps the main spring does not have enough strength. The proposed replacement unit does have internal cocking.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration